Re: Quicken Bill Manager - vs any Bank Bill Payment Services

BOB139
BOB139 Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Follow up since that thread has been closed.

Does anyone know how well Chase or PNC bill pay integrates with Quicken Direct Connect?

With Wells Fargo they dropped the Direct Connect fees so I gave it a shot but it doesn't integrate _at all_ with their bill pay, and from what they told me they are mailing checks for everything.

What I would like is something that syncs my bank bill pay service with Quicken.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bank of America bill pay syncs nicely with Quicken but apparently it is not available for new customers.

The only issue I have with BoA is that when a Bill Pay payment is initiated from their side, the transaction downloads to Quicken but for some reason it does not match to a corresponding transaction that is already in the register.

So for example if I have a credit card bill that I have set up on the BoA website to auto-pay, BoA sends that future dated transaction to Quicken during OSU. When I accept it, the transaction is recorded in my register but it does not automatically match to the transaction that is already there from a Reminder. There is a separate discussion on this issue here
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909220/bofa-bill-pay-downloaded-transactions-come-in-as-new-instead-of-matching
    QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

About your Bill Manager issues

My 2cents' worth, if I may:

I don't use Bill Pay services or Bill Manager at all, neither the one from Quicken nor the one offered by my bank. Since time "B.I." (before the Internet was invented) I have set up almost all of my recurring payments as Direct Debit, PAC Draft, Autopay, APS, whatever the biller calls it. Using the biller's website, I authorized the biller to electronically debit each payment directly from my checking or credit card account on due date. Now I can sit back, relax and wait for it to happen. Instead of having to wrestle with making payment on time I let the biller do all the work for me.

When I get notified of a new statement having arrived, usually by email, all I have to do in Quicken is to run a regular scheduled reminder to record the transaction. Haven't missed a payment in many years.

I recommend you do the same instead of fighting the Bill Manager windmill, missing payments and getting slapped with penalty interest rates or late fees.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice, @UKR.

I do that with almost all of my regular bills and it has worked flawlessly until today, when the email bill notification from the gas company was much more than I expected. 

It turns out the bill was for 2 months, because last month's  transfer aborted. The failure was because when I first set up the transfers, their system let me set a limit on the transfer amount and for the first time ever,  the Feb. bill exceeded the limit.

They have since changed the system to eliminate the option of setting a limit, but my limit was still in effect with no way to change or remove it. I had to delete the online payment on their website, log out and back in, then set it up again. Nothing is simple in the world of antique billing systems!
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.