American Express transactions are downloading to the wrong account (Q Mac)

Options
NFBrown464
NFBrown464 Member
I have an AMEX credit card account and also an AMEX savings account ... have had both of these for many years with no trouble in Quicken. I do not download savings transactions to Quicken, there are few of them and it is easy to enter them manually. Suddenly - today - a download of transactions has many (and large amount) savings transactions downloaded to my credit card account in Quicken. This has really wreaked havoc in my Quicken accounts because I have used the transfer feature to post between accounts. So suddenly - my savings account, my credit card account and my checking account balances are WAY out of whack ... this after I reconciled all of them a week ago.

I happen to know that American Express is allowing login to Savings with my credit card credentials ... this has just started and while I do not use that, could it be causing the trouble??

All I know is I had to spend a lot of time manually fixing things and am left with some error that I have not located yet. And I am afraid to do another transaction download until I know this has been fixed or I know how to get around it?

Thanks for any help you can give me ...
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have an AMEX credit card account and also an AMEX savings account ... have had both of these for many years with no trouble in Quicken. I do not download savings transactions to Quicken, there are few of them and it is easy to enter them manually. Suddenly - today - a download of transactions has many (and large amount) savings transactions downloaded to my credit card account in Quicken. This has really wreaked havoc in my Quicken accounts because I have used the transfer feature to post between accounts. So suddenly - my savings account, my credit card account and my checking account balances are WAY out of whack ... this after I reconciled all of them a week ago.

I happen to know that American Express is allowing login to Savings with my credit card credentials ... this has just started and while I do not use that, could it be causing the trouble??

All I know is I had to spend a lot of time manually fixing things and am left with some error that I have not located yet. And I am afraid to do another transaction download until I know this has been fixed or I know how to get around it?

Thanks for any help you can give me ...
    Hello @NFBrown464,       

I am sorry to hear about this issue with transactions being downloaded into the incorrect accounts. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community about this.

In a situation like this, one of the first things I want to ask about is whether or not a restoration from a backup saved prior to the emergence of the problem. For reference, you can save backups anytime by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. You can likewise restore from a backup by going into the same menu and selecting Restore from Backup... Provided that backups are saved frequently - we recommend that they are saved whenever using Quicken - you should be able to locate a recent backup data file. If you try to connect your accounts after restoring a backup, do you notice the same behavior?

Next: when you mention that your credit card credentials are being accepted for your savings account, do you know whether your account numbers have changed recently, or are possibly being accepted/required to login to online banking profiles?

I look forward to your responses, and hope to continue working with you on this issue in the future.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • NFBrown464
    NFBrown464 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I did not try restoring from a backup - foolishly - and managed to "restore" most everything manually. But I assure you I will become vigilant now about my backups (seems they are happening automatically about every 2 weeks?).
    No credit card number changes or login credential changes. And I did not download AMEX savings transactions - I have not set that up in Quicken - they seem to have been downloaded ands assigned to my AMEX credit card account. Then because I use the "transfer" function within quicken - those transactions that were recorded as payments to my credit card were deducted from my checking account. I download about every 7-10 days, yet this time those savings transactions were download from all of 2021. A mess!
    I have auto download credentials set up in Quicken for my checking and my credit cards accounts ... I press "Update all online accounts" and they all update without issue -- until this happened. I did have a recent message that told me I needed some code or a reentry of my password for AMEX (credit card) - I ignored that, did not change or add anything and the next time I update there was no issue.

Thanks again!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @NFBrown464 Unless you turn it off in Quicken Preferences, Quicken will generate a new backup file every time you quit the program. I strongly encourage changing the default of maintaining 5 backup files to a larger number; I have it set to 50, but it should be at least 20-25 for most users. (If you leave it set to 5, and you launch and quite Quicken a few times, you might find you only have backups going back one or two days.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.