Can't run Quicken update as Admin in Windows Domain networked environment

adfar
adfar Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Reports (Windows)
We are running QN (R39.23) in a domain environment. Regular users do not have permissions to install software on their machines. As a result, when there is an update available for QN, they cannot run it themselves--I have to go to their machine and enter my domain admin credentials to run the updater. i tried updating QuickenPatch.exe properties to run compatibility mode and also to run as administrator (change for all users), but no matter which configuration I try, the updater will not run nor update QN without my admin credentials.

Does anyone know of any secret tricks to get this working? It's fairly inconvenient to have to visit each user to manually run the update and once it is run on one machine, it starts to cascade as the files get opened on different machines and updated to the latest version requiring the same .

We are running a Server 2012R2 domin with group policy. all other machines are Windows Latest.

Thanks for any tips or ideas.

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken is a personal financial software not intended to be used in a business environment. Are you running a Windows Domain at your home?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • adfar
    adfar Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    [Removed - Disruptive]

Yes, I run a domain at home with group policy. It helps keep my wife and kids protected and helps with update deployment. I’m starting to get the kids running QN now that they’re getting closer to college age to learn how to manage money etc, but I obviously still have access to the files. I work nights too so it’s a pain when there is an update and I’m not there to run it. I am not always at a console at work so rdp/quick assist/gotomypc etc are rarely an option. I’d like to find a way around d this so that it’s one less obstacle to adoption. If every other time they go to reconcile or whatever they can’t get into the file, they’ll just stop using it. Is that all OK?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally there is no rush to install an update, many of us like to wait and see if it breaks something.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • adfar
    adfar Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    [Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines]
  • adfar
    adfar Member ✭✭
    What a mess. All I was hoping to do was find out if it was possible to run QuickenPatch.exe in compatibility mode as administrator. Any (on topic) pointers would still be greatly appreciated.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no way to do it. Quicken was written to run in a non-Domain environment. You are the first poster I have seen that runs a Windows Domain. 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    adfar said: What a mess. All I was hoping to do was find out if it was possible to run QuickenPatch.exe in compatibility mode as administrator.
    I would have to go back and investigate which installer software product they are using - but my guess is that it does not expect to be in a Domain controlled environment, and uses and touches things that are NOT represented by merely changing the Domain User/Admin Permissions structure.
    This is the first time I've seen this reference to the Windows Domain world and installing Quicken.
    [EDIT] - also updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.