I just installed the latest update(R39.23)and now I have no data from 2009 on. Help!

mmohring
mmohring Member
As I said I just installed the latest update and now have no data after 2009.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You would not have gotten a warning from Quicken to backup your file before updating.  Quicken now does that automatically before the update actually begins and it inserts the version that was updated into the file name.
    This version update file will be located in the same directory that is your default for automatic updates.  To see where this file might be located:  Edit > Preferences > Backup > click on Open (after Automatic backups).  Make sure the backup file you select to restore is for R38.30 or earlier.  Do not restore any backup file for R39.17 or R39.21 as those might be the source of your file corruption.
    I would also strongly recommend that you setup your backup preferences to automatically back up your file after every Quicken session and to save enough backup files to account for at least 1 month.  I run Quicken every day so my settings are to backup after every session and to save the most recent 35 backups....backups in excess of that will be automatically deleted by Quicken.  If you set up automatic backups then doing manual backups does not need to be done (although you might still want to, especially if you want to save a backup on another drive).

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    So double clicking on it does not prompt Quicken to open/import the file or you are not asked which program to use to open it? 
    If that is the case, then I suggest uninstalling Quicken and then downloading and installing a fresh copy of the complete Quicken installation file from your Quicken.com account or from https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it
    There have been some reports of people updating to R39.23 and then not being able to restore backup files.  If the updating process for R39.23 previously did not install correctly last time this should correct it. 
    Also, during the Quicken installation process decline to set up a new data file.  Instead try to restore the 2-27 backup file.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mmohring

Hopefully you made a backup copy of your datafile immediately prior to doing the Quicken update.  I suggest that you restore the backup file now.  Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmohring said:
    As I said I just installed the latest update and now have no data after 2009.
    Hi 

@mmohring ,

If you don't  do Manual Backups, then I would suggest, that you open Quicken. Click on your Checking Account Register. Just above the Register,  look at the filters. Set them to All Dates, Any Type and All Transactions, then click on Reset. See if that helps.

If it doesn't, then click File > Restore a Backup File . In the Next Window, Dot Restore from your backup. Click on Browse and locate the Backup Folder, which is usually a sub-folder of your data folder. Find the newest Backup file. Highlight the latest Backup File and click Open. Click on Restore Backup. If the Express Web Connect  Registers, don't work, then Deactivate and Set Up Now for each one, from Account Overview of each Register.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• mmohring
    mmohring Member
    I have a backup from a few months back. I cannot even get that to work. When I click restore from a backup file it doesn't do anything. I tried the filters. Nothing works. What's odd is my accounts are all current but there are no transactions listed. Very frustrating! And the program did not warn me to backup before updating.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    You would not have gotten a warning from Quicken to backup your file before updating.  Quicken now does that automatically before the update actually begins and it inserts the version that was updated into the file name.
    This version update file will be located in the same directory that is your default for automatic updates.  To see where this file might be located:  Edit > Preferences > Backup > click on Open (after Automatic backups).  Make sure the backup file you select to restore is for R38.30 or earlier.  Do not restore any backup file for R39.17 or R39.21 as those might be the source of your file corruption.
    I would also strongly recommend that you setup your backup preferences to automatically back up your file after every Quicken session and to save enough backup files to account for at least 1 month.  I run Quicken every day so my settings are to backup after every session and to save the most recent 35 backups....backups in excess of that will be automatically deleted by Quicken.  If you set up automatic backups then doing manual backups does not need to be done (although you might still want to, especially if you want to save a backup on another drive).

• mmohring
    mmohring Member
    After trying your suggestion I realized I do have it set up automatically backup every 5 uses. However when I found my last backup on 2-27 following your steps (can't find where it backed up before the update yesterday) I select it and then what? I still can't restore any backups when I click on file. Weird.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    So double clicking on it does not prompt Quicken to open/import the file or you are not asked which program to use to open it? 
    If that is the case, then I suggest uninstalling Quicken and then downloading and installing a fresh copy of the complete Quicken installation file from your Quicken.com account or from https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it
    There have been some reports of people updating to R39.23 and then not being able to restore backup files.  If the updating process for R39.23 previously did not install correctly last time this should correct it. 
    Also, during the Quicken installation process decline to set up a new data file.  Instead try to restore the 2-27 backup file.

• mmohring
    mmohring Member
    Thanks so much I finally got the back up to work. Quicken would not allow it to work when the dialog box was still open. I closed it and went directly to the backup. Closed Quicken when prompted and when I reopened it had restored everything. What a waste of time! Quicken needs to fix this problem asap! Thanks again!
  • Boatnmaniac
    You are welcome.  I'm glad to hear it's working for you now.

This discussion has been closed.