Can I add a memo field (with splits) to reports?

Options
hbanks
hbanks Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2022 in Reports (Mac)
Hi,

I use Quicken reports to report charitable contributions to my accountant. Using Quicken 2007 for Mac, I used to be able to also show the memo field, in which I have EIN's. And could also do this for split transactions.

Is there also a way to show splits? In some single transactions, I give to multiple charities, each with their own EIN.

Is there a way to show them in the latest Quicken for Mac? Sure hope there's at least a work around.

Hope there's a way to do these two things, without having to export to Excel and manually enter the info.

Hannah

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @hbanks There are two separate issues here. First, you can indeed add the Memo field to any report. In the report menu under the title, click View, then Columns, and you can select or deselect any of the columns shown — including Memo/Notes.

Now, regarding splits: in a Report, every split line is listed separately. Reports don't show the total transaction, just the split lines, for a transaction with splits. Any you can't tell if an item in a report is a whole transaction or a split of a larger transaction. So there's nothing you need to enable to see split lines in reports; they're already there. 

(Note that this is different than printing transactions in a register, where Quicken will show the total transaction and then list the split lines under it.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @hbanks There are two separate issues here. First, you can indeed add the Memo field to any report. In the report menu under the title, click View, then Columns, and you can select or deselect any of the columns shown — including Memo/Notes.

Now, regarding splits: in a Report, every split line is listed separately. Reports don't show the total transaction, just the split lines, for a transaction with splits. Any you can't tell if an item in a report is a whole transaction or a split of a larger transaction. So there's nothing you need to enable to see split lines in reports; they're already there. 

(Note that this is different than printing transactions in a register, where Quicken will show the total transaction and then list the split lines under it.)
  • hbanks
    hbanks Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks to your help, it now shows what I want.

Guess I gotta stop looking for the way it used to be, huh?

Hannah
  • jacobs
    Options
    hbanks said:
    Guess I gotta stop looking for the way it used to be, huh?
    Hannah: Exactly! :smile: There are many things which modern Quicken does as well, if not better than, the legacy program did — but they may be done differently or look different. No one likes change, so we all immediately have a knee jerk reaction that "I want it the way it was!" The more you can let go of that and focus on what you can do in Quicken Mac, the happier you will be with the program.

Are there some shortcomings or missing features? Yup, there are. That can be frustrating, but at least the development team is adding new functionality every month or two, so the program does keep getting better. The progress is slower than any of us would like, but it's progress nonetheless. ;)

Meanwhile, if you run into other "how do I get it to do…" problems, search and/or post again on this site.
  • hbanks
    hbanks Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, you know I will, after noodling around, scratching my head, and crankily stomping on the floor.

Hannah
This discussion has been closed.