data files for new Win 7 computer

noneqkn
noneqkn Member ✭✭
my friend has quicken 6 on a windows xp computer. i am looking to upgrade him to windows 7 computer. where do i find the data files to transfer to the new computer please. this version of quicken is on a cd, i have installed quicken 6 on the new computer, and runs.
i am not a quicken user, just know about computers,
your help gratefully received.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a Quicken version as old this, the most likely location for the Quicken data files is in C:\Quickenw
    Another possible location could be in a subfolder of \Documents and Settings named \Quicken
    However, the Quicken "data file" consists of several individual files, all using the same file name, e.g., QDATA, but different file types.
    Your best way of transferring the data files to the new computer is to create a backup to floppy disk, CD or, if available, USB stick. (If USB stick, use the Safely remove hardware function to eject the USB stick. If not done, the backup may not be completely written to the device). This will ensure that all the components of the data file are available for restore.
    On the new computer open Quicken and use the File Menu's Backup and Restore function to restore the backup from the floppy or USB stick. As destination for the restored data files use whichever is available:
    The \Documents and Settings subfolder for document files where there should be a \Quicken subfolder. If not, create it.
    Or, if that naming standard is already available in your (unsupported) Windows 7: C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Quicken\
    After restore is complete open the restored file in Quicken.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it Quicken 6 or 2006 or 2016?  You might want to get a newer version.

You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. 

You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

Using Windows  XP the files are usually in My Documents in the Quicken Data folder.  You can search your hard drive for all files ending in .QDF to find where they are stored. I went from XP and got a new computer with Windows 8.1.  I made a Quicken folder under Documents and copied my .qdf file there.  Actually just copy the whole Quicken folder from the old computer.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    noneqkn said: my friend has quicken 6 on a windows xp computer. i am looking to upgrade him to windows 7 computer.
    Yikes - that is still going to be a problem at some point.... Why Win 7 and not a jump to Win 10 ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions
    Had a friend go thru the pain of not being able to do her taxes, because the software would not install on older Windows.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    noneqkn said:
    my friend has quicken 6 on a windows xp computer. i am looking to upgrade him to windows 7 computer. where do i find the data files to transfer to the new computer please. this version of quicken is on a cd, i have installed quicken 6 on the new computer, and runs.
    i am not a quicken user, just know about computers,
    your help gratefully received.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-data-file-set-extensions
This discussion has been closed.