Downloading transactions and clearing them

MrLeeL
MrLeeL Member ✭✭
Sometimes, I look at my account, see a transaction and manually add that and clear it since my account shows it deducted. This may have, or may not have been downloaded to quicken after a do an update in quicken. sometimes I have to do a manual download to a QFX file from the account.
If I download 3 months previous, sometimes the already cleared transactions show up as NEW and not MATCH in the window. So now I have to verify each New Transaction to see if it is really new, or just not working the way I think Quicken should work.
If the transaction that is downloaded is within 1 or 2 business (M-F) days, It should either automatically match or ASK you if you want it to match. This may happen if I pay a bill through the creditor account, where they pull it from a bank. The pull may happen on 1 day, but 'not downloaded' until a day or 2 following.
follow me?
Why does this not work the way I think it should?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is Quicken attempts to match an imported transaction to the earliest unmatched transaction in the register in the last 30 days with the same amount.
  • MrLeeL
    MrLeeL Member ✭✭
    That I see, I want a way to repoint or clear old transactions so that they actually match up to the current date. This process needs to be looked up. Unlinking and manually correcting the entry's match does not reset the pointer to the most current. That is what the software needs.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    MrLeeL said:
    That I see, I want a way to repoint or clear old transactions so that they actually match up to the current date. This process needs to be looked up. Unlinking and manually correcting the entry's match does not reset the pointer to the most current. That is what the software needs.
    Going forward, I suggest you import transactions at least once every 30 days.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    MrLeeL said:
    Going forward, I suggest you import transactions at least once every 30 days.
    Not only that, even though I recommend you download at least once a week or even better, daily.
    There is no need for you to manually set a transaction to "c (cleared)" in the Clr column.
    The download process does that for you when you accept and match a downloaded transaction to an already existing register transaction or when you let the download process create a new register transaction for you.
    Once a month you should reconcile the register with the monthly statement. This will set the Clr field to "R (reconciled)". Alternatively, you can set the reconcile process to occur automatically after every download and accept process, using the Online Balance reported by the bank as your guide.

This discussion has been closed.