Options trades from my brokerage account and not updating properly for about the last year.

Dennis L
Dennis L Member
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I have been a quicken user for a few decades and have traded options for about 5 years. Within the last year, many of the options transactions coming from my broker is incorrect. Wrong dates, unidentified security, and other issues. First, I don't know why this is now an issue and wasn't in the past. Second, I don't know how to manually enter the option correctly. When I try it just lists the stock and that messes up the price of shares that I may have. Any help in this area would be appreciated. (Best way to manually enter, as a stock with options numbers?, as an option but what is proper nomenclature that become accepted by Quicken?)

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.

Quicken has never provided the buy to open, sell to open, sell to close, or buy to close transactions used for options but we may work around the functional limitation using BoughtShtSellSold, and CvrShrt action transactions, respectively.  When importing transactions for expiration, assignment, or exercise reenter the transaction using the appropriate close transaction (Sold or CvrShrt).

Option price quote updates are available in Quicken Premier and higher using the OCC symbol format.  The trick is to create the security manually: press Ctrl + Y, select Add Security and Click here

• Dennis L
    Dennis L Member
    Thank you for responding. The financial institute I use is Vanguard. Connection method is direct connect. Also note that most options come in correctly but I have been getting a few (i would guess 20%) through incorrectly. For example I sold a covered call, 1 contract, on Microsoft strike price 305, Exp 4/14/2022 for $665 on 3/22. The download I got was from the direct connect was: SOLD MICROSOFT CORP for 665 ON 3/22.

I used the method you suggested for manually entry and it worked as long as I follow the nomenclature of the market in the ticker which is MSFT220414C00305000. When I used my own quick symbol, it didn't work and reverted to plan MSFT. I use Quicken Deluxe, but really don't need the price update for options.

Do you have any insight or method to help in getting the download to work properly in the first place?
  • Dennis L
    Dennis L Member
    P.S. after doing my Quicken update, I would like to add that all options coming in from Direct Connect is wrong. The other options that I traded are coming in with the wrong strike or expiration date. But at least that are coming in as an option.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Dennis L said:
    P.S. after doing my Quicken update, I would like to add that all options coming in from Direct Connect is wrong. The other options that I traded are coming in with the wrong strike or expiration date. But at least that are coming in as an option.
    Hello @Dennis L

I am sorry to hear that this problem with brokers remains unresolved. Thank you for providing further information and context for those of us here on the Quicken Community.

Given that the direct connect method requires that information regarding accounts is transmitted by the financial institution, it would be necessary to reach out to Vanguard support about this issue. It can be helpful to request to speak with a 'Tier 2' representative or an escalations team, as they are more likely to have a greater familiarity with third-party software, such as Quicken.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.