Can't set up bill manager

When I try to enable and enter all required information, I get error message that simply says "Can't set up account". What do I do now? The bank is PNC in case that matters.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    When I try to enable and enter all required information, I get error message that simply says "Can't set up account". What do I do now? The bank is PNC in case that matters.
    Hello @Joe Hopwood

I am sorry to hear about this trouble with bill manager. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

Are you seeing any error codes alongside this error message? Also, is PNC the only institution that you are operating accounts under that are being affected by this message? If you can, try to provide a screenshot of the message you are seeing by following the instructions provided in the thread linked below:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

Note that you can also drag and drop images into your comment before it has been posted in order to provide screenshots, which sometimes proves to be the easier method.

I look forward to your reply. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Joe Hopwood
    Joe Hopwood Member ✭✭
    Screenshot wont tell you any more than I did, but I will comply. No other errors or I would have told you.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Screenshot wont tell you any more than I did, but I will comply. No other errors or I would have told you.
    @Joe Hopwood

Thank you for providing that screenshot. 

This message appears when no online billers have yet been added to Quicken. What happens when you try to add an online biller by going to Bills & Income tab and click the '+' icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen? Be sure that you have the Bills, Income & Transfers tab selected. You should be prompted to search for an online biller after clicking Online Bill; is this screen appearing? If so, what happens when you try to select and add an online biller here?

I am eager to hear back from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Joe Hopwood
    Joe Hopwood Member ✭✭
    H Jared. I really don't have any online bills. All my bills are paid via biller drafting funds from my checking account. I want to be able to write checks occasionally such as kid's birthdays, Christmas, etc.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    H Jared. I really don't have any online bills. All my bills are paid via biller drafting funds from my checking account. I want to be able to write checks occasionally such as kid's birthdays, Christmas, etc.
    Do you really want to use Quicken Check Pay to have these checks printed and mailed?
    If so, and that's what @Quicken Jared referred to in his response ...
    I believe, there's a quirk in the Quicken Bill Manager setup. You need to first set up at least one online biller, but only for setup purposes, not to really make payments thru Quick Pay or Check Pay. Once this has been established, but not linked to the payment scheduled reminder, you should now be able to proceed with the account setup for Check Pay. Once that is complete you may remove the online biller.
    My 2¢, if I may.
    If I wanted to make sure that the check arrived in time for the kid's birthday I would not use Check Pay. Instead, I would print the checks on my PC printer and then mail or hand deliver the check, together with a proper birthday card.
    The Check Pay service appears to take an extraordinary amount of time to process and mail checks. On time delivery cannot be guaranteed.
  • Joe Hopwood
    Joe Hopwood Member ✭✭
    Thanks UKR. As I know the dates these type checks I can send well in advance and don't have to print three checks at a time. :-) Guess I will just go online to bank and have them send check. I really like before when I could just tell Quicken to tell the bank to do it and it was the banks service that mailed the check. I have had checks go to incorrect address using Quicken but that was a few years ago and thought they were probably better now.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks UKR. As I know the dates these type checks I can send well in advance and don't have to print three checks at a time. ...
    What type of Quicken compatible checks do you use in your printer? 
    • For 3-per-page personal size checks choose "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", not "Wallet Checks" (unless you still use some very old stock from many years ago)
    • For 3-per-page business size checks choose "Standard Checks", not "Voucher Checks".
    • For 1-per-page business size checks with 2 stubs choose "Voucher Checks".
    You don't have to have 3 checks in the queue to print a sheet of Wallet or Standard checks, but then you also have deal with how to print partial pages. Not all printers can handle partial pages well.
    I always use Voucher Checks. My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs Voucher Checks are easiest to use.
    When making a purchase decision for a new supply of check forms and considering your own check stock to use, consider how easy or difficult it is to feed special forms or odd-size partial pages into your printer.

• Joe Hopwood
    Joe Hopwood Member ✭✭
    Thank you! How the printer would handle was my concern. Although I have never done it, I knew Quicken could handle. At least pretty sure it could. :-)
This discussion has been closed.