I've got two entries in Bills & Income, but there should only be one

Rod F.
Rod F. Member ✭✭
We have a medical bill I'm paying off. I recently set up an entry into the Bills & Incomes section of Quicken, so I could track it. I created a loan, and I also entered a biller payer. Well, both show up in Bills & Income, which at least confuses me. Shouldn't there just be one? I would imagine that selecting the bill in Bills & Income, I could enter the payment, and make it so that it's a transfer to the loan. But what do I do with both showing up here?

I've done something wrong and am not sure how to correct it. I'd appreciate help in handling this, please.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Rod F. said:
    My mistake, @Sherlock, is not an online bill. I've discovered that I have no online bills when I go to Manage Online Billers. I'm going to select the bill in Bills, Income & Transfers, then delete the series. I hope that will take care of it.
    I suggest you use the loan's payment reminder: open the loan account, press Ctrl + Shift + N, select Enter Loan Payment

To delete a manual reminder: press Ctrl + J, select the reminder and Delete

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Rod F.

Yes - there should only be one.

I can't tell exactly how you got to where you are (it sounds like you set up a liability (the loan) and probably also set up a "bill reminder"), but I do have a way out of it.  All you need to do is to make sure that the "bill reminder" will post the payment that you make to the loan account that you've set up.  To do that - click on the "Bills and Income" tab > locate the bill reminder > and click on "Edit this instance and all future instances".  Then in the Pop-up window - look at "Details" box and make sure the "Category" looks like this [NAME OF THE LOAN ACCOUNT] .  In other words, the name of the loan account you setup should appear in square brackets.  If it doesn't - you need to edit the field to be the name of the loan account.  Once you fix that - click "Done".

That should fix your problem.  If you have any followups just post back here.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    When you created the loan account, Quicken would have created a loan payment reminder.  If you also set up an online bill to pull the amount due from an online biller, you would have two entries when viewing All bills in the Bills or Bills, Income & Transfers view on the Bill & Income tab.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Rod F. said:
    Hi @Sherlock, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. It must be the case that I also created either an online bill or a manual bill. How do I delete that manual bill, to allow the load payment reminder to remain?
    If you would like to remove the online bill, select the gear icon at the upper right on the Bills and Income tab and Manage Online Billers
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Rod F. said:
    My mistake, @Sherlock, is not an online bill. I've discovered that I have no online bills when I go to Manage Online Billers. I'm going to select the bill in Bills, Income & Transfers, then delete the series. I hope that will take care of it.
    I suggest you use the loan's payment reminder: open the loan account, press Ctrl + Shift + N, select Enter Loan Payment

To delete a manual reminder: press Ctrl + J, select the reminder and Delete
This discussion has been closed.