Sidebar amounts are not correct

quartet
quartet Member ✭✭
I want to see ending amounts in the sidebar, but it shows current amounts. I can't seem to find where to change this. Can someone help?

Thank you.

[Also, I am unable to contact Quicken Support. When I click on chat or call, I get a pop-up that just takes me back to itself. Has Quicken Support stopped providing support?]
Tagged:

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Click the three-dot icon (...) at the top of the sidebar. There you will see three options: Show... Today's Balance, Projected Balance or Online Balance. You will want to change the selection from Today's Balance to Projected Balance.

Regarding support, are you going to www.quicken.com/support and scrolling down to the blue button for Call Us, Chat With Us and Ask Our Community. When I click one of those first two buttons, I get a popup asking me to sign in. Once signed in, when I click Call Us, I get a popup with a Call Now button. Clicking that button reveals the phone number. When signed in, clicking on the Chat With Us button brings up a popup with a Chat Now button which starts a chat session. You may need to make sure you don't have any popup or content blockers running.

Also, if you click on your username, it should take you to the My Account page with the Quicken Support phone number listed at the top right.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • quartet
    quartet Member ✭✭
    RickO, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I just want to let you know that your solution does not work. It seems to work for Banking accounts like Checking and Credit Cards, but all of the Investing accounts (Brokerage, Retirement,...) show the current, not the projected amounts.

I'll check back on the other issue (re: contacting Quicken support) later when I have a bit of time.

Again, thank you for your attention to this (relatively minor) issue.
  • RickO
    Well, now that you mention it, I see the same thing. I never really paid attention to the investment accounts because I don't usually have scheduled transactions in those. It would only affect the cash balance portion of the value, but if there's a pending future cash transaction, one would think that should be reflected. I tested it and agree that it's not working that way.

When you get in touch with support, this would be something to report to them. You can also click menu Help > Report a Problem and send it in that way (although you will not get any reply or confirmation).
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    This issue has been brought up many times/for a long time. For investment accounts, because you cannot have scheduled future investment transactions, the sidebar shows only the current balance.

(As @RickO notes, you can schedule banking transactions in an investment account, so perhaps it would be of value to a small number of people to be able to have the sidebar show a balance including future transactions — but I think it would only be truly useful for most people if they added a way to enter scheduled investment transactions.)

In any case, to see more about this issue, and to add your vote to the Idea thread requesting this be changed, please visit this thread. (@RickO, I see it's not a new issue to you, because you commented about it in that thread. ;) )  In that thread, it was originally qualified as a bug, but the developers came back and said that it's not a bug because it wasn't designed to show future transactions in investment accounts — but they'd consider making such a change in the future. That thread has only 6 votes, so more votes might help get it pushed up the developers' priority list.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    Call it a bug or not, it is clearly a design flaw/error because the number shown is not the correct number. If the future transaction exists, then the Projected Balance should reflect it or the Projected Balance is just plain wrong. 

That said, you are right, I don't really care because (1) I rarely have a future cash transaction in an investment account, and (2) I keep my sidebar set to Current Balance.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    RickO said:
    Call it a bug or not, it is clearly a design flaw/error because the number shown is not the correct number.
    Yup, that was my point in the other thread. The moderator who was involved at the time couldn't offer any more help, because the developers said it wasn't designed to do that, so it's working as designed! Rules of common sense apply only sometimes. ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.