What does "Transfer" do?

Quicken Version 6.6.2 (Build 606.43218.100) on macOS 12.3.  I click "Bills & Income" at the top and then "Bills" towards the left.  Some entries, under the "Actions" column have "Transfer".  When I click the "Transfer" button, the entry disappears.  I guess it is creating an entry in the ledgers (account(s)) but it isn't really clear.  One question is how do I Undo the action?

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    When the recurring transaction is set up as a Transfer between accounts, instead of the button saying "Mark as Paid", the button says "Transfer". It basically means the same thing: accept the current instance of this transaction into the register as paid/transferred and set up the next scheduled instance as pending. The action is the same as if you click the three dot icon next to the button and select Mark as Paid or if you go to the corresponding register, double click the transaction and select Mark as Paid.

If you clicked Transfer/Mark as Paid inadvertently, you can undo the action by clicking menu Edit > Undo Post Scheduled Transaction as long as you have not quit Quicken. You can undo unlimited number of actions this way going back to when you started the session.

===

Interesting finding: I personally never use the Bills & Income tab as I do all my work in the registers themselves. Only went there to answer this question. But when I did, I noticed that in the Payment Status column, all of the blue links to the last paid instance of the bill are wrong. They link to unrelated transaction of the wrong amount, in completely unrelated accounts. I will report this via Help > Report a Problem. Just wondering if others are seeing the same thing?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    RickO said:
    Interesting finding: I personally never use the Bills & Income tab as I do all my work in the registers themselves. Only went there to answer this question. But when I did, I noticed that in the Payment Status column, all of the blue links to the last paid instance of the bill are wrong. They link to unrelated transaction of the wrong amount, in completely unrelated accounts. I will report this via Help > Report a Problem. Just wondering if others are seeing the same thing?
    I only recently started using the Bills & Income tab.  My life has gotten more complicated and this area is helping.  I am just now starting to hook up Bills.

As far as the blue links, the very top one of mine is a Check Pay and it brings up a window of the payment status.  The other blue links get me to the proper transaction in the proper account.  I tested a half dozen or so.

If I can detour the topic... long ago, I use to hit command-] when sitting on an entry in Quicken and it would bring me to the matching entry (when the entry was a transfer).  This no longer seems to work for me.  Is there a substitute?  It is / was extremely handy.

This is one reason why I hate Intuit and why I'm glad Quicken got away from them.  Quicken (especially on the Mac) degraded massively when it was with Intuit.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Perry Smith said:
    If I can detour the topic... long ago, I use to hit command-] when sitting on an entry in Quicken and it would bring me to the matching entry (when the entry was a transfer).  This no longer seems to work for me.  Is there a substitute?  It is / was extremely handy.
    There is not (so far) a keyboard command like the old Command-[ to jump to the transaction in the other register. However, if you make the Transfer column visible in your register(s), in the Transfer field you will see an arrow in a gray circle on the right side of the field, and clicking it does the same thing as the old Command-[. Actually, I think it's slightly better, because it opens the other account register in a separate window, so you don't lose your place in the original account. But, unfortunately, there's no keyboard shortcut for this; you have to make the Transfer field visible and do a mouse click for this functionality. 

There is an existing Idea request to add a keyboard command for this function. Please take a second to visit this thread and add your vote for it. (Click the little black arrow under the vote counter in the yellow box beneath the first post.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.