Converting Windows file to Mac with problem with linked checking account

NewMac
NewMac Member
I'm converting from Windows to a new Mac Studio and installed the Mac subscription version of Quicken onto MacHD and then opened the Windows data file for conversion. The problem is that it fouled up my deposits from my Brokerage account to a linked checking account. None showed up. I know that Mac Quicken doesn't support linked checking accounts but I did a conversion on my MacBook Air last October (or thereabouts) and had no problem. I just looked on laptop and it prompted me to upgrade Quicken on the laptop so I know that an older version than the one that was installed on Mac Studio is on the laptop. Sooo, it appears something is wrong with the conversion in new version. Is there a workaround (other than manually adding YEARS of transactions) or a way to get an older version that will do the conversion properly? Thanks for any help, suggestions, sympathy, etc.

Gary

Best Answer

• NewMac
    NewMac Member
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to both of you!! That did the trick. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it myself!! I guess breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. I skipped breakfast to get the new Mac app and running . . . Again, thanks to both of you for taking your time to help me out!! Now on to Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop; we know THAT'LL be easy as pie. ;)

Gary

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2022
    What about using the older version of Quicken on your laptop to import the Windows file & then moving the Quicken Mac data file over to your new Mac?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Gary, this doesn't answer what's gone wrong, but it might get you over the hump…

You say the MacBook Air has an older version of Quicken Mac. So it would be useful to try the conversion with your current Quicken Windows data file on that version of Quicken Mac, and then you can move the Quicken Mac data file to your new Mac Studio.

Copy your current Quicken Widonws data file to the MacBook Air. On the MacBook Air, did you install the upgrade or not? If not, launch Quicken, go to File > New, and select that you want to convert the Windows data file..

If you did update the application on the MacBook Air, and you haven't emptied the Trash since doing so, the old version of Quicken gets moved to the Trash, so you should be able to retrieve it from there. It will have a file name like "Quicken (605.42638.100)". Drag it out of the Trash o your Desktop, and double-click it to launch that application; it will try to open your existing Mac data file (and probably tell you it can't because it's been used by a newer version); you can ignore that and go to File > New to select conversion of a Windows data file.

Once you have your Windows data file successfully converted on the MacBook Air, then you can quit Quicken, compress the Quicken Mac data file (File > Compress in the Finder), and copy the resulting .zip file to the new Mac. Double-click the .zip file to de-compress it, and place the .quicken data file where you want it to live. Launch Quicken, goto File > Open, navigate to the file you just placed, and select it. it will update that data file to the current version of Quicken Mac format, and you should be all set to move forward.

(I have no idea why your linked checking account deposits worked okay in your prior conversion but not now, but if this gets you around the problem for this one-time conversion, that's all you're looking for, right? ;) )
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • NewMac
    NewMac Member
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to both of you!! That did the trick. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it myself!! I guess breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. I skipped breakfast to get the new Mac app and running . . . Again, thanks to both of you for taking your time to help me out!! Now on to Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop; we know THAT'LL be easy as pie. ;)

Gary
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @NewMac I'm too jealous of your new Mac Studio to have too much sympathy for your missed breakfast!

The Adobe apps should be easy, as long as you can enter your 64-character authentication code while spinning counterclockwise and holding the keyboard upside down. ;)

(I still have one Mac running Mojave so I can run my old Adobe CS6 apps; I've considered running VM software like Parallels to run an instance of Mojave on a Big Sur machine, but I'm pretty confident that even armed with my old installer codes, the CS6 installation will fail because Adobe probably doesn't have the servers for CS6 installation anymore. I haven't decided how I'm going to proceed. I'd be okay paying for a new Photoshop license, but not the full Adobe suite; I needed Photoshop, InDesign and Acrobat for work, but now that I'm retired, I can't justify paying $600/year!)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • NewMac
    NewMac Member
    Well, like any new computer, there is a great deal of frustration and work to getting it the way you want it. Especially when changing from one OS to another, similar but different one. I'm retired also so at least there isn't a huge time constraint on learning. As far as Adobe products, all I really needed was Lightroom but the subscription option from Adobe isn't bad; as much as I wanted to OWN my copy of the software and didn't want to rent. For only $120/yr you get PS/LR with fairly frequent robust updates. When PS alone was costing over $600 with minimal updates, this is looking like a deal. As you probably know, those algorithms for processing keep getting better so your software is up to date and producing the best pictures your skill can manage. Also, no 64-character auth codes. ;). Thanks for your help again and have a great retirement; I sure don't miss working.

Gary
This discussion has been closed.