setting up reports for individual catagories

I want to set up reports for different catagories such as rent received, repairs. insurance. mortgage payments, ect. to print for the accountant. The problem i have is i have 4 different bank accounts for properties in different states. I would like to combine the various catagories rent received, repairs. insurance. mortgage payments from all different banks into one report from all banks per catagory. Does that make sense? Thank you for your help!

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You absolutely can do that.  You create a Spending report - I generally use "Income and Expense by Category" report - customize it so it only shows the one Category you want to see, further customize it to be "fed information" only from the Accounts that you want feeding the report, then save it with whatever name makes sense to you.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @john heyden,

Yes you can get the information that your accountant will need (for your tax return preparation) by going to Reports > and then selecting both "Tax Schedule" and then after that is printed or saved "Tax Summary" .  These two reports will provide your accountant with the information he/she needs for your tax filings.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• john heyden
    john heyden Member ✭✭
    I hope i can explain this so you can understand my question. I'm using quicken rental properties version. I'm doing last years taxes. I have 4 bank accounts for properties in different states. I am trying to create reports for the various catagories.
    So i have my Chase acct up in the search box i type in State Farm. It shows me Payee column list of state farm payments, in catagory (rental insurance) column. In the "payment column" it lists all the monthly payments ive made for the year.
    Here is my questions...how can i save that report? AND when i save that report does it give me a total? Can i save that report as a pdf to print for the accountant?
    It seems that most accountants use Quickbooks is there a way to convert a quicken file to a quickbooks file? I called both quicken and quickbooks support and both tell me to call the others support line and so i can't find out. thanks for your help!!
  • Tom Young
    edited April 2022
    From the sounds of it, it appears that you're working right within the Chase Account register itself.  Generally it would be better, particularly if the report needs to be run again and again, to use one of the reports available to you under Reports > Spending.  You could customize it however you want then save the report for future use.
    If you really want to generate "one-off" reports right from the register, you can do that.  To follow along with your example, you'd go into the Chase register, highlight a transactions that's of interest to you, (a payment to State Farm), click the gearwheel in the upper right hand corner of the register, and scroll down to "More reports..."  The first available report that comes up is "Amount spent on rental insurance" and the second report is "Payments made to State Farm."  Assuming you want the second report showing payments made to State Farm, click on that option and you get a list of payments made to state farm, showing the detail of all the payments for a period of time, with a total.  Set the Date Range to "Last Year" and you've got your report. 
    You can save this report for use next year, if you wish.
    You can print this report as a PDF if you have a suitable PDF printer installed.  "Microsoft Print to PDF" comes installed with Windows, I believe, and I think there's a Quicken PDF printer too, though I've never used it.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Hi @john heyden

To answer your last question first - No, you cannot convert a Quicken file to a Quickbooks file. 

They are not only completely different applications/platforms, but they are designed for completely different purposes.  Quicken is an application primarily designed for personal financial tracking/reporting, while Quickbooks is an application designed for small business financial tracking/reporting.  The first is a user-friendly application that non-financial people can use easily, and the second is an application that is more easily used by bookkeepers than regular folks. 

That being said, Quicken can be used effectively to track personal financial information and related data, including tax return data, for most individual taxpayers, sole proprietors in business, and individuals who have rental properties.  However, the more complex your financial dealings are, the less effective Quicken can become.

As far as reports that can - and should - be provided to your accountant for tax purposes, you really should NOT focus on the "register reports" but rather on the "Reports" tab.  For tax purposes there are numerous reports available that will provide your tax preparer with everything he/she needs to prepare your returns. In addition, specifically for rental properties there are reports under the Reports > Rental Property > "Schedule E" and "Tax Schedule" selections that should provide the data your tax preparer will need to prepare your return

Hopefully this has been helpful.  If you have any followup questions, just post back.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• john heyden
    john heyden Member ✭✭
    Thank you very much. I think i just need to muddle thru this till i figure it out. your help is appreciated.
  • john heyden
    john heyden Member ✭✭
    Tomx your suggestions helped although i had to save the reports as xls because when i try to save as pdf it collapses the catagories and you can't see what the expenses are for. thank you for your help
  • Tom Young
    edited April 2022
    You can't "save" a report as a PDF, you must "print" a report as a PDF using "Microsoft Print to PDF" as the "printer" you're sending the report to.

This discussion has been closed.