Can I move Quicken App along with data at the same time?

Options
Barbara Allen
Barbara Allen Member ✭✭
I want to move Quicken 6.5.3 to my new iMac. Both old and new iMacs are using OS 12.0.1 or higher. I've seen the answer that involves downloading a more recent Quicken to the person's new Mac and then creating a file of their data on the old computer and moving it and then expanding it etc but I would like to know if you can compress both the app and data at the same time and move. I have done something similar in past years but sadly can not remember how I did it.

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You could compress both the app and date file together, but since they are stored in different locations, it's not worth the trouble. Just compress the app in the Applications folder and move that zip file to your flash drive or other means of moving files. Then compress the data file and copy that to the flash drive. Expand them in their respective places on the new machine. Or you could use the macOS Migration Assistant which will take care of this and much more automatically.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Unless there's a particular reason you're holding your Quicken at version 6.5.3 instead of the current 6.6.2, you can let Quicken do the upgrade on either the old machine or the new machine (or not at all).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You could compress both the app and date file together, but since they are stored in different locations, it's not worth the trouble. Just compress the app in the Applications folder and move that zip file to your flash drive or other means of moving files. Then compress the data file and copy that to the flash drive. Expand them in their respective places on the new machine. Or you could use the macOS Migration Assistant which will take care of this and much more automatically.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Unless there's a particular reason you're holding your Quicken at version 6.5.3 instead of the current 6.6.2, you can let Quicken do the upgrade on either the old machine or the new machine (or not at all).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Barbara Allen
    Barbara Allen Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you RickO. I was unaware of macOS Migration Assistant. That might be the easiest way to go for me as other than Quicken my most important information is in emails in my mail program and that needs to be transferred too. Jacobs, I have just gotten behind in updating my Quicken but will do that now. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.