Did Quicken charge me $1 last night?

Options
I had a charge from Quicken for $1 last night from Quicken. Is my credit card compromised? Why did they charge me this? My subscription is set to auto renew in a few weeks. They need to give me that $1 back.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Is this a charge that was downloaded into your Quicken file?  Or did you get a notification of a charge made by Quicken?
    If it is a charge that got downloaded that means it has cleared at the credit card company and you will need to contact Quicken Support to inquire about it and get it corrected.
    But my guess is that it was a preliminary charge, kind of like what happens at restaurants and gas pumps where a temporary charge is made to confirm that the credit card is still valid and to pre-authorize for the auto renew charge to be completed later.  If this is the case it is not an actual charge and will not be cleared as such.  To check on this, log in to your online account and see if it is listed as "pending" or "temporary".  If that is what you see, then you can relax because it will go away after awhile, either when your auto renew charge takes place or sometime before then.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    ryanjiles said:
    Thanks. Hopefully you’re right. It’s still pending. I got an alert from my cc last night.
    If you are feeling really uncomfortable about this then you might want to contact Quicken Support:  How to Contact Quicken Support [Support Article].  Only they will be able to confirm it for you or issue a credit if that is needed.  Almost everyone posting here in Community is a user just like you and me so we have no ability to do anything about it.  But if I were you I'd just kick back and relax.  Worst case it's only a buck and Quicken will issue credit for it later if needed.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Is this a charge that was downloaded into your Quicken file?  Or did you get a notification of a charge made by Quicken?
    If it is a charge that got downloaded that means it has cleared at the credit card company and you will need to contact Quicken Support to inquire about it and get it corrected.
    But my guess is that it was a preliminary charge, kind of like what happens at restaurants and gas pumps where a temporary charge is made to confirm that the credit card is still valid and to pre-authorize for the auto renew charge to be completed later.  If this is the case it is not an actual charge and will not be cleared as such.  To check on this, log in to your online account and see if it is listed as "pending" or "temporary".  If that is what you see, then you can relax because it will go away after awhile, either when your auto renew charge takes place or sometime before then.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did they actually complete the transaction or was it just pending like the gas stations when they check to make sure that the CC is valid?
    They do check the CC validity a short time before renewal time, but I have always understood it to be a pending charge like the example I gave of a gas purchase.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ryanjiles
    ryanjiles Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks. Hopefully you’re right. It’s still pending. I got an alert from my cc last night.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    ryanjiles said:
    If you are feeling really uncomfortable about this then you might want to contact Quicken Support:  How to Contact Quicken Support [Support Article].  Only they will be able to confirm it for you or issue a credit if that is needed.  Almost everyone posting here in Community is a user just like you and me so we have no ability to do anything about it.  But if I were you I'd just kick back and relax.  Worst case it's only a buck and Quicken will issue credit for it later if needed.

• Walter Antoku
    Walter Antoku Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was also charged $1 yesterday. It posted to my credit card account, but when I logged in to my credit card account, I also noticed a $1 reversal is "Pending". So all is good.
This discussion has been closed.