Quicken Backup Stopped Working - Any fix?

My manually executed Quicken Backup to an any other external/internal drive suddenly stopped working. It always worked before and no changes have been made on my end. After each of several attempts I get a small box that says simply "File NOT backed up", giving no clue as to why. Any ideas?

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken backup? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In answering Greg's questions, start with the drive letter, colon ... and continue thru .QDF or .QDF-backup, as appropriate.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Larry Tripp
    Larry Tripp Member ✭✭
    1. C:/Users/Admin/Documents/Quicken/Larrys Quicken Data
    2. X:\Quiken Backup\Larry's Quicken Data-2022-04-02.QDF-backup
    3. Not to my knowledge

Quicken is rapidly becoming more trouble than it's worth. Backup has stopped working, One Step Update doesn't work entirely.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "File not backed up" typically indicates damage detected in the active Quicken data file. Please use these instructions to perform a Validate and Supervalidate process, to repair damage to the data file.
    Start here: Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Also, Q frequently has problems with files that contain spaces in the file path or file name.  I'd suggest that, with Q closed, you use Windows to change your filename to something without spaces that conforms to the 8.3 convention.  Then double-click on the re-named file to open it and try that backup again.
    Also, physically, what is your X: drive?
    Let us know how that works and we can proceed to your OSU issue ... but we'll need specific info about what's happening (not happening) with your OSU such as error codes or messages and your current Q BUILD as shown in HELP, About Quicken.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Larry Tripp
    Larry Tripp Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the help.

I had tried to validate the file earlier and that didn't resolve the issue. I have now restored a backup file from a few days ago and then tried to backup and that worked. I will now update that file and try to backup see what happens. Can't do that now, as Q says its online service is unavailable at the moment, hopefully that is not an error message resulting from my end.

My X drive is an external drive. It is where I manually back up my Q files. Q does its own, automatic backups on my internal drive.

OSU stopped working properly around the first of the year. It seems much slower and it updates most but not all of my accounts. All the accounts are properly set up, since if I open an account individually and select "update transactions" that account and all others linked to it will update. One account at TD Ameritrade will consistently update, another will not. I do not receive any error messages. New transaction "blue dots" are hit and miss.

My Q build is version R39.23, build 27.1.39.23.
  • Larry Tripp
    Larry Tripp Member ✭✭
    Backup problem resolved. The "online services unavailable" problem was on my end. I found another discussion thread on that, signed out and signed back in as per instructions and that problem went away. Was able to update accounts, some manually, and execute a backup.
This discussion has been closed.