Double register entry

CathyDL
CathyDL Member
When I use the transfer category in my checking register to another account (credit card), I get an entry in the other account. I also get an entry when I download the transactions in that other account (credit card). If I delete either one, it adjusts the balance of both accounts. Ex. If I delete the transfer, it credits the checking and removes it from the checking register, if I delete the downloaded it affects the account it was downloaded to.
How can I get them to only enter once in an account? Every online auto payment I make gets a double entry once I accept charges in the checking with a trnsfer

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you entering the transfer transaction before the transaction is downloaded?
    Is the amount of the transfer exactly the same as the amount of the downloaded transaction?

What is supposed to be happening is that the downloaded transaction is matched to the one already entered into the register.  It mostly does that by the amount.

Also, if it doesn't match there are ways to match it manually so that you don't have this double entry problem, but the procedures are a bit different depending on if you have this preference on or off:

Is yours on or off?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • CathyDL
    CathyDL Member
    mine is off right now.
    If I download my checking and accept the transactions it enters into the other account when I use the transfer. The other account, if I download before and accept before the checking also makes an entry with the checking account as the category. I then end up with double entry and skewed balances
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to understand what is in your screenshot.  I take it is of the US Bank Checking account, right?

In that case the two transactions on 3/4/2022 are correctly entered, but the ones on 3/6/2022 and 4/4/2022 aren't.

When you enter a transfer the account name in the square brackets should be the name of the "other account".

If you look at your payments on 3/4/2022 the category field is [Macys].  This is a transfer from the US Bank Checking account to Macys.

If you look at your payment on 3/6/2022 the category field is [US Bank Checking].  That is actually putting in a "balance adjustment".  As in, the balance of this account is changed, but it isn't affecting any other account or category.

What should be happening is in one account you have a transfer, and when it is entered it creates a "linked transfer" transaction in the other account.  And when you download transactions, you match them up with the existing one in each of the registers.

Example, starting with the transfer properly entered into the checking account.
    Checking account:

Credit card account:

Now I download the transactions.
    Checking account:

See I have a Match.  So, if I now accept it the downloaded transaction information is merged with the transaction it matched in the register.  And the same is done in the credit card account to match the other side of the linked transfer transaction.
    Signature:
  • CathyDL
    CathyDL Member
    This is the credit card register. I have used quicken for a long time and started a new file. I know that the transfer needs to be the account. However, I get double loads, one when I accept in the checking and one when I download the credit card and accept transactions. It doesn't ask about a match
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Then I don't know what is going on.
    Signature:
  • CathyDL
    CathyDL Member
    Thank you for your help.
This discussion has been closed.