Date Range Scheduled Transactions

I am a teacher who gets paid 9 months a year. Is there a way to date range my income scheduled transactions? I can't delete the summer month transactions without deleting the entire scheduled transaction. I have the same problem with a mosquito treatment service I only get during the spring, summer, and fall (8 months).Thanks.

Best Answer

• waldof15e
    waldof15e Member
    Answer ✓
    RickO, thanks. I am currently skipping the summer months and that works fine but just creates a little extra work on my part when I am looking at future balances which is no big deal. The other thing I noticed is that I can put an end date to the scheduled transaction which would work but I would have to set it up again next year. For now, it looks like skipping is my best option. And I hope that I have to change the amount each year ;) . Appreciate the feedback.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Bottom line: no, there is no way to schedule monthly transactions for a year but exclude certain months. 

One option would be to create nine separate annually recurring transactions that occur only for the months you receive the pay. You could do this by repeatedly scheduling an existing transaction nine times, with the only difference being the annual month in which it occurs. It would be a real pain, though, if the amounts ever change since you'd have nine transactions to edit instead of one.

Another option is to just wait until the first non-pay month rolls around and then skip the scheduled transaction three times. For example, if you last paycheck is May, then after marking May as Paid, double click the instance that shows up for June and click Skip This Instance in the blue bar below the transaction. Repeat two more times for July and August. Note that you can only skip the next one due; you cannot skip any instances further out that you may see in the register.

If you don't see the future transactions in the register, click the tiny clock icon at the top right and set the Show Reminders to Next One Due. You can also view the future transactions in the Bills & Income tab > Projected Balances and use the search field to see only transactions for your employer or the bug company.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • waldof15e
    waldof15e Member
    Answer ✓
    RickO, thanks. I am currently skipping the summer months and that works fine but just creates a little extra work on my part when I am looking at future balances which is no big deal. The other thing I noticed is that I can put an end date to the scheduled transaction which would work but I would have to set it up again next year. For now, it looks like skipping is my best option. And I hope that I have to change the amount each year ;) . Appreciate the feedback.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Another way to approach this: schedule the income transaction with an ending date of the last month of the current year. When you reach that point in the year, after having marked the last one as Deposited, then click on that last spring deposit, and select Transactions > Schedule this transaction. In the Schedule screen, set the starting date for August or September when the payments begin again. In other words, schedule each of these part-year recurring transactions for just the current cycle of deposits/payments, and then reschedule them again at the end of each season. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.