Max File Size - New File?

Options
CDEL
CDEL Member
I'm using the Windows subscription version on a Windows 10 laptop and my current file is almost 74MB. My data in that file is from 2018 through YTD.

I'd like to start a new file with the existing data going back to 1/1/22 to decrease the file size. Should I not really worry about this? If I want to move forward with a new file and retain my info back to 1/1/22, what's the best way to go about it?

Thanks!

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't worry about it. There is no need to decrease the size. And someday you will wish you had your historical data in your current file.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you are saving attachments into your data file and you are worried about the file's size, I wouldn't to do it.  They bloat the size of your file and all of your backups.  Now it doesn't slow things down, it is just a lot of file space.  The other downside is that you can only get them out one at a time.  I'd create a folder structure separate from Quicken and save them in there with appropriate names to make them findable.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Options
    As mentioned - it really is a better idea to just keep ALL your data - why would you delete any fiancial history ?
    And 74MB is nothing - you can see your Quicken data file stats here - ..... Help --> CTRL+About Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.