Windows version not showing subgroups in account list

I have been using the MAC version for a few years and recently changed over to Windows. One thing that I have noticed is that there are faint lines between checking, savings and credit accounts, but there are no sub-categories like there are on the MAC. I have looked at everything that I can think of, but there is no option to enable this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, they have never given the Windows version the ability to have sub accounts/groups.  Keep in mind that the Mac version was re-written from scratch several years ago and the Windows and Mac versions are completely different so not everything in one is in the other.  In many ways the Windows version has more features but there are other things that the Mac version does better.
  • TonyG1974
    TonyG1974 Member ✭✭
    I feared that may be the case. Thank you for the response!
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    TonyG1974 said:
    I have been using the MAC version for a few years and recently changed over to Windows. One thing that I have noticed is that there are faint lines between checking, savings and credit accounts, but there are no sub-categories like there are on the MAC. I have looked at everything that I can think of, but there is no option to enable this? Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Hello @TonyG1974

I appreciate you bringing up the subject of the information displayed in the Account List for discussion. I apologize for any confusion you may have experienced.

It sounds as though you are trying edit the Account Types in the Account List, and possibly add them, as well. Typically, an account type can't be added to the account list unless there is an account that is within that type that exists in the account list, itself. Are you seeking to change a particular account's type?

I look forward to your response and hope this is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • TonyG1974
    TonyG1974 Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Jared" said:
    > Hello @TonyG1974, 
    >
    > I appreciate you bringing up the subject of the information displayed in the Account List for discussion. I apologize for any confusion you may have experienced.
    >
    > It sounds as though you are trying edit the Account Types in the Account List, and possibly add them, as well. Typically, an account type can't be added to the account list unless there is an account that is within that type that exists in the account list, itself. Are you seeking to change a particular account's type?
    >
    > I look forward to your response and hope this is helpful.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Hi Jared,

I am not trying to add an account sub-category. I have used the MAC version for a few years, and instead of separating the account types by the faint line in the Windows sidebar, the MAC has a subcategory header for Cash, Savings, Credit Card, Investing, Retirement, etc. This does not appear to be available in the Windows version of the product.

Thank you.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The idea to have personalized groups for the Account bar has been suggested main times, but I can't find that suggestion (it is hard to find such things on this site).  It has come in many various formats from a very restricted suggestion to the more generic.  From what I understand of the history Quicken it even made it into a beta, but never made it out of beta for some reason.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • TonyG1974
    TonyG1974 Member ✭✭
    Hey Chris,

I am not looking for any customization here. The ones in the MAC version are just the out-of-box sub-categories that Quicken gives you. I don't want anything but the headers in there instead of those faint lines.

Thanks!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. Neither Quicken Windows or Quicken Mac have "sub accounts", I think that @bmciance just chose the wrong wording that comment.
    Signature:
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    P.S. Neither Quicken Windows or Quicken Mac have "sub accounts", I think that @bmciance just chose the wrong wording that comment.
    That's correct.  I guess it is really a sub grouping on the account bar that we were discussing rather than a "sub-account".  Sorry for any confusion.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW on the other hand Quicken Windows has something in this area that Quicken Mac doesn't have "Account intent".  In the Account Details -> Display Options tab there is an "Account Intent" selection.
    It lets you move the account around in the grouping to some extent.  Like from Spending to Savings or to Investment.  This also affects some grouping on reports.

Each account type has a default intent.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.