Quicken wrongly charging accounts during Transfer

Every time I categorize a transfer between my accounts(PNC Bank) quicken either charges the wrong Account or states that I'm charging it to the same account and refuses to auto categorize it. Please send help, I'm between this and redoing a whole 3 years' worth of data in the next 3 days

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Every time I categorize a transfer between my accounts(PNC Bank) quicken either charges the wrong Account or states that I'm charging it to the same account and refuses to auto categorize it. Please send help, I'm between this and redoing a whole 3 years' worth of data in the next 3 days
    Hello @JTrynouthere123,

I am sorry to hear about this issue with charges being incorrectly attributed to certain accounts. Thank you for bringing this problem to us here on the Quicken Community.

When did this issue begin? Also, where is your current data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer...

I hope to hear more from you about this in the future.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JTrynouthere123 said: Every time I categorize a transfer between my accounts(PNC Bank) .....
    just curious - what steps are you taking to perform this "transfer" -
    usually it's just a simple matter of using this syntax in the FROM Account Category -
    and indicating the TO Account - ... [to-account-name] - then both accounts will show this To/From syntax on the transaction

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Extending @Ps56k2's reply, for example, if you're paying your Visa card from your checking account, you'd record the payment in the checking register and the category on that transaction would be [VISA] . or whatever the actual name of the account is.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• JTrynouthere123
    JTrynouthere123 Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Jared" said:
    > Hello @JTrynouthere123,
    >
    > I am sorry to hear about this issue with charges being incorrectly attributed to certain accounts. Thank you for bringing this problem to us here on the Quicken Community.
    >
    > When did this issue begin? Also, where is your current data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer...
    >
    > I hope to hear more from you about this in the future.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Jared, this began when I converted pdf of my bank history to .qfx and brought it into quicken, as I got a house this year, it shot my balance -26k+ and from there it now fails to fix current live import updates from the account and whether the transfer was from one to the other acct, is don't charge to account the transfer was from but who it's to no matter the category
  • JTrynouthere123
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > just curious - what steps are you taking to perform this "transfer" -
    > usually it's just a simple matter of using this syntax in the FROM Account Category -
    > and indicating the TO Account - ... [to-account-name] - then both accounts will show this To/From syntax on the transaction

I thought this as well, but no matter if its expense or income, it continues to charge the wrong account, when classifying to the correct one, it says why to classify the chargeback to the same account, for example

transfer from act1 +$50 transferred to act 3, so when categorized as a transfer to act 3, it takes away $50 from act 3 and leaves it in 1
  • JTrynouthere123
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Extending @Ps56k2's reply, for example, if you're paying your Visa card from your checking account, you'd record the payment in the checking register and the category on that transaction would be [VISA] . or whatever the actual name of the account is.

so with this as long as its a transaction in my spend, i should classify as spend, regardless of where its going?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JTrynouthere123 said:  so with this as long as its a transaction in my spend, i should classify as spend, regardless of where its going?
    Not sure where the problem is....
    Whatever is happening in the REAL world should be reflected the same way in the Quicken Accounts.
    Here is a "transfer" from a MM Acct to a Savings Account

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your confusing Income/Expense with Cash Flow.  Your transfer from one account to another isn't an expense/spend.  It doesn't make you any poorer, just as moving your wallet from one pocked to another doesn't make you any poorer.
    Perhaps, if you'd give an actual example we could explain further.  ALSO see Q's Cash Flow reports.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    JTrynouthere123 said: Every time I categorize a transfer between my accounts(PNC Bank) quicken either charges the wrong Account
    As mentioned above - your terminology is confusing..... a "transfer" is not a "charge" ....
    So, yeah - please explain what exactly you are trying to accomplish
    ie - credit card charges and then monthly payment from checking...
    CC - charge, charge, charge, charge, etc....
    Month End CC statement --> "transfer" CC balance amount from checking into the "CC" account - acts as a payment -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.