How to get Quicken to remember recurring charges

I know there is a feature for credit card accounts, but I need to categorize each charge on each credit card. I have been using split for categories forever, and it works fine. But, each year I have more subscriptions with recurring monthly charges. Is there some way to set up these recurring charges as a "baseline" for each recorded payment? When I am ready to make next month's payment by check, I enter the check number, the Payee and amount, open the split window, and then ideally, the regular charges would appear, and I could add any other charges below.

I know I can download statements with credit card accounts feature, but they are not categorized, so it doesn't solve my problem. I "know" I am not doing it "right" according to some posts I've read here, so if someone could provide some help with my challenge of having to repeatedly enter the same recurring charges every month in the split window, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    If you use credit card account registers, Quicken may use memorized payees and reminders to help maintain the entry categories.  Then, when paying the credit card bill, the transaction may be entered as a transfer from the payment account register to the credit card account register even if you pay by check.

If you haven't already, you may want to review:

https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Saving+time+with+memorized+payees
    https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/About+reminders
  • sheltiemom
    sheltiemom Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response. From what I have read here, I can set up a credit card account and download transactions, then I connect the check to the credit card account. But, how do I get the items in the credit card bill categorized?

What I am thinking now is to set up a checking account that is not connected to anything, create the monthly recurring charges and save them in the dummy account. Then, I could copy the transaction into my active account and continue from there.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your response. From what I have read here, I can set up a credit card account and download transactions, then I connect the check to the credit card account. But, how do I get the items in the credit card bill categorized?

What I am thinking now is to set up a checking account that is not connected to anything, create the monthly recurring charges and save them in the dummy account. Then, I could copy the transaction into my active account and continue from there.
    If you import transactions into an account register, Quicken may use renaming rules to map the payees to memorized payees which may provide the categories for the entries.  But, even if you do choose not to import transactions, you may still use memorized payees and reminders to help maintain the entry categories.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/About+the+way+Quicken+suggests+categories+and+payees
  • sheltiemom
    sheltiemom Member ✭✭
    Your links saved the day! Hooray! Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.