2 Quick Questions

fijigirlann
fijigirlann Member ✭✭
1. is there a way to setup a warning if something is Uncategorized in the Register?
2. Is there a way to view the SAVE without having to open the Edit Details screen?
Thank you

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    But it also seems to be doing the same thing with my MACBOOK Pro I just purchased. I do think there is a difference between the TAB and the RETURN key and I have to learn to use both. I'm still used to the Windows version
    Yes, Tab and Return should be completely different in Quicken Mac. Tab moves between fields. (And Shift-Tab moves backward between fields, by the way.) Return saves a transaction. You should never need to Open Details just to click on the Save button.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying. So it sounds like it's working as it should.
    • Tab moves forward between fields.
    • Shift-Tab moves backward between fields.
    • Return or Enter saves a transaction (no matter how much you've filled in or not filled in).
    • On a closed transaction which is highlighted in blue, pressing Return will open it for editing. (So if you press Enter repeatedly, it will open the transaction for editing and then save the transaction and then opening it…)

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2022
    1. I'm not aware of any way to generate a warning for uncategorized transactions. But you could easily create a custom report that displays them. You just would need to remember to pull up that report once in a while.

2. Yes, just hit Return or Enter on your keyboard. That will save the currently open transaction. Alternatively, if you wish to start a new transaction, hit Command-N. This will save the currently open transaction and create a new one.

Edit: Just saw your profile says Quicken Windows. If you are in fact using QWin (not QMac in whose category this is posted), please reply so that we can get the post moved over to QWin.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭
    When I hit Return or Enter it just keeps going through the entries. I was using Windows but I just upgraded to MAC.
  • RickO
    edited April 2022
    Please explain further what you mean by "just keeps going through the entries".

Do you have a transaction in an account register open for edit and you are trying to save it? If not, please explain what you're trying to do and where in the program you are.

Screenshots could be helpful.
  • fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭
    Rick

I'm in a bank account register entering a check written or an electronic payment made. When I was using Windows I had it set so the enter key was set to enter between fields. This is the file I brought over to the MAC. When I finish entering the amount and I hit enter it goes back to the date field. Does that help explain what I mean better?
  • RickO
    I think I understand what you're saying but I can't replicate it. In QMac, there is no option to change the behavior of the Return/Enter key. It should always close and save the currently open transaction. If you hit it when on a closed transaction, it should open for edit.

What you're describing sounds like what is supposed to happen when you hit the Tab key. Is there any chance you have some kind of utility on your Mac that is causing Tab and Return to be switched when using Quicken?
  • jacobs
    In Quicken Mac, are you pressing Enter to move between fields? This isn't behavior available in Quicken — e.g. there is no Preference setting in Quicken Mac to substitute the Enter key for the Tab key in moving between fields —  so if you're doing that currently, it sounds like there's some other utility software apparently running on your Mac to swap the Tab and Enter keys. When I enter a transaction, if I press Tab after the Amount field, Quicken returns to the date field; if I press Enter in any field, the transaction is immediately saved.

Are you using a standard Apple keyboard, or a third-party keyboard which may have such a key substitution configured?

• fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭
    Ricko
    Not that I know of. I'm in the bank register. I hit the plus to add a new entry. I use the ENTER key once I complete the date, check number, payee, category, amount and then after that it goes back to the date field. I have to OPEN the full line by using EDIT DETAILS so I can use the SAVE within there.
  • RickO
    It may be that you are hitting Enter twice. If you are in the last column while editing a transaction and hit Enter once, it will close and save the transaction. However, if you immediately hit Enter again, it will re-open the transaction with the cursor in the first (probably Date) column.
  • fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭
    Ricko
    Thank you for trying to help me. I guess I will just have to open the Edit Details to SAVE. Thanks again
  • fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭
    one thing I will say. It is the RETURN key on my MAC. There really isn't an Enter key
  • jacobs
    Please answer if you are using a standard Apple keyboard or a third-party keyboard (and if so, which one). Also: if you enter the date field, how do you move to the Payee field: Enter or Tab? (Or are you mouse clicking between fields?) Tab should move between fields; Enter should Save the transaction immediately, even if all you have filled in is the date.

Try restarting your Mac in Safe Mode: restart the Mac and hold down the Shift key during the restart process until the login screen or your home screen appears. Then launch Quicken and try a transaction. When you press Enter, does the transaction now save? If yes, then it would confirm that some third-party software is making your keystrokes substitute Enter for Tab.
  • jacobs
    @fijigirlann You're correct; the key is labeled Return on most Mac keyboards. 

I guess I will just have to open the Edit Details to SAVE.
    No, that's painfully tedious. Don't give up yet. :) We just have to get to the bottom of what is happening on your Mac so it can be flipped off. 
  • fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭
    Jacobs
    I believe this is the answer. It's the difference between using the TAB key and the RETURN key. The RETURN is saving it. It when using the tab key to go between fields that I have to open the Edit Details to SAVE. Bingo that is the answer.
  • RickO
    Return and Enter are the same. You would only have Enter on the extended Mac keyboard (the one with a number pad).

I agree with jacobs' thoughts and questions.
  • RickO
    Jacobs
    I believe this is the answer. It's the difference between using the TAB key and the RETURN key. The RETURN is saving it. It when using the tab key to go between fields that I have to open the Edit Details to SAVE. Bingo that is the answer.
    Right. Tab will go from field to field and circle back to the first field from the last one. Return will save the transaction.
  • fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭
    Yes that is the keyboard I have. With the numbers on the right hand side
  • fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭
    But it also seems to be doing the same thing with my MACBOOK Pro I just purchased. I do think there is a difference between the TAB and the RETURN key and I have to learn to use both. I'm still used to the Windows version
  • jacobs
    Oops, sorry, you just lost me. You are using Tab to move between fields, yes? And when you press Return, is it saving the transaction or not? You started by saying it did not save, it went back to the Date field (the next field after Amount). But above, you seemed to say Return is saving the transaction. So I'm confused. 
  • jacobs
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Yes, Tab and Return should be completely different in Quicken Mac. Tab moves between fields. (And Shift-Tab moves backward between fields, by the way.) Return saves a transaction. You should never need to Open Details just to click on the Save button.
  • fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭
    So sorry I didn't mean to save you. I'm using the TAB key to go between fields and once I put in the amount if I TAB it will go back to the date field. I will have to learn to use the RETURN key at the end. I have to teach this old dog a new trick. On Windows there was no different and I just used the one key.
  • RickO
    Yes that is the keyboard I have. With the numbers on the right hand side
    If it's an Apple keyboard with the num pad on the right, then the Enter key is in the lower right corner of the num pad.
  • fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭
    Sorry I didn't mean to CONFUSE you LOL
  • fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭
    I think I have solved the problem. Thank you both for working with me to help me understand how Quicken works on the MAC
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying. So it sounds like it's working as it should.
    • Tab moves forward between fields.
    • Shift-Tab moves backward between fields.
    • Return or Enter saves a transaction (no matter how much you've filled in or not filled in).
    • On a closed transaction which is highlighted in blue, pressing Return will open it for editing. (So if you press Enter repeatedly, it will open the transaction for editing and then save the transaction and then opening it…)
  • fijigirlann
    fijigirlann Member ✭✭

THIS IS THE ANSWER. THANKS SO MUCH
This discussion has been closed.