How to properly backup Quicken file to NAS

For years I have used the backup feature to backup a copy of my Quicken data file to may NAS. Several months ago I started getting a message when I start Quicken that says "Quicken has detected that you are accessing your data file through dropbox, ... or another remote device. " It goes on to say that they recommend not doing this. I wish I could just attach a screenshot here but I don't see an option for this. In any case, what is up with this message? Are you really not supposed to use the backup feature and point to to somewhere other than your local hard drive? What would be the point of a backup if it was still on your local drive? So I called Quicken customer support and they told me the same thing. You should not use the back up feature and point it to anywhere other than your local drive. I am confused. Can someone tell me the correct procedure to safely backup your Quicken data file to a NAS or other external location?

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep my Quicken file local (C drive) and back it up by copying it to Google drive.  You can do the same process to copy to your NAS.  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    To attach a screen shot file, drag the file on to the text entry box.

The warning should appear when you attempt to open a Quicken file at a location Quicken suspects may not be on an internal drive.  You may save a backup to a remote drive.
  • Woodnut
    Woodnut Member
    Thanks for telling me how to attach a screen shot. I hope this works. So if it is alright to use the backup feature and point it to my NAS, why did I start getting this pop up box? And why did the Quicken support person tell me not to do it?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Woodnut said:
    Thanks for telling me how to attach a screen shot. I hope this works. So if it is alright to use the backup feature and point it to my NAS, why did I start getting this pop up box? And why did the Quicken support person tell me not to do it?
    As I said earlier, the warning should appear when you attempt to open a Quicken file at a location Quicken suspects may not be on an internal drive.  When you manual backup the Quicken file, Quicken will temporarily close the Quicken file, save the backup of the Quicken file, and reopen the Quicken file.  I suspect Quicken thinks the Quicken file is not being accessed on an internal drive.

I can not explain why a Quicken support person would tell you not to do it.
  • Woodnut
    Woodnut Member
    Ok, thanks for clearing this up for me. To be more specific, the Quicken support person told me to backup to the local drive and then manually move or copy the backup to the non-local location. Again, this makes no sense that they would want you to do this. So, I will not go back to pointing the backup location to my NAS and ignore the warning message. Thanks again.
  • Woodnut
    Woodnut Member
    Sorry, I meant to say that I will now go back to pointing the backup location to my NAS.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just as a test - I just now performed a manual Quicken backup ... File --> Copy or Backup -->
    and clicked on the CHANGE and pointed to an external USB flash drive (Drive E:)
    The backup ran fine, and NO warning message was received.
    The warning message ONLY happens when you attempt to use the live Quicken QDF data file on a "remote" drive.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, also,  backup to a USB drive ... without incident.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Adding my two cents and my set up. I actually keep my Quicken file on my NAS and back up to the NAS as well in a separate folder. Then I back up both the live file and the backup file to the cloud. I've been using this set up for the last 8 years with no problems and no errors. I do this because sometimes I am on my laptop doing budgeting and bills rather then sitting at my desk. As long as I don't try to access the file on both at the same time, it works 100%.
This discussion has been closed.