Apply Account to budget without affecting past years

From 2018-2021 the accounts & categories I used for budgeting stayed fairly consistent. At start of each new year, it prompted me to bring forward things to the new year. Worked good.

I have an extra Checking Acct that has NEVER been used for budgeting purposes before.

Now starting in 2022, I want to pull in that extra Checking Acct & change how I'm doing things a bit.
From the budget screen, I can click on "Budget Actions", then "Select Accounts..." and select the extra account, and it starts showing up.
However, it applies that account to ALL budget years, not just 2022 and beyond. I don't want it applied to 2018-21.
Therefore my historical end of year budget reports from 2018-21 include an account I don't want to see within the budgets.

Is there a way to select a new account to only apply from 2022 & beyond?
Or would I have to just "Create a New Budget" and manage things from 2018-21 in one budget file and 2022-?? in another budget file?

BTW: I noticed that new "Categories" I select in 2022 get applied to 2022 & beyond, but NOT to 2018-21. That's how I want "Accounts" to work as well!

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think the easiest way to move forward would be to modify a copy of the budget: select Budget Actions > Duplicate this budget...
  • Jerry Ryan
    Jerry Ryan Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I think the easiest way to move forward would be to modify a copy of the budget: select Budget Actions > Duplicate this budget...

When I do this, the new file includes all those previous year budgets as well. Since they are in budget file #1, after I duplicate that into #2, is there a way to delete the budget for those previous years from #2 so I'm left with only 2022 in that file?

Seems to me the answer is No...and to get it where I want I'd have to create a new budget file from scratch & recreate everything for 2022..?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I think the easiest way to move forward would be to modify a copy of the budget: select Budget Actions > Duplicate this budget...

When I do this, the new file includes all those previous year budgets as well. Since they are in budget file #1, after I duplicate that into #2, is there a way to delete the budget for those previous years from #2 so I'm left with only 2022 in that file?

Seems to me the answer is No...and to get it where I want I'd have to create a new budget file from scratch & recreate everything for 2022..?
    The new budget should be a duplicate of the original budget.  You then modify either budget to include the extra checking account and modify things a bit and leave the other as it is.  Use the modified budget for 2022 and going forward and the unmodified budget for 2018 - 2021.
  • Jerry Ryan
    Jerry Ryan Member ✭✭
    so then I'll have 2 budget files, each containing years 2018-2021...one of them is correct and one is incorrect. That doesn't seem like a good thing. Right now I'll remember that, but 6 months from now will I?...I bet not...
    Am I missing something obvious???
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    so then I'll have 2 budget files, each containing years 2018-2021...one of them is correct and one is incorrect. That doesn't seem like a good thing. Right now I'll remember that, but 6 months from now will I?...I bet not...
    Am I missing something obvious???
    They're both correct budgets.  I suggest setting appropriate budget names so you will know which is the old one and which is the new one.  You may always delete the categories from the years you want excluded.
This discussion has been closed.