quicken tried to access my bank account without permission

I added a new bank account to Quicken and was able to download transactions successfully. A short time later, I changed my password at the bank.

Yesterday I received a message from the bank reporting an attempt to access the account with the wrong password via the "Q2Api" which sounds like Quicken (and I haven't given my bank information to any other program or institution).

I could understand this warning if I had used Quicken to update my accounts, but I haven't used Quicken in days, and wasn't even near the computer at the time reported by the bank.

It's as if the Quicken data center (whatever it's called) remembered my password and tried to retrieve my bank info on its own. I don't recall being asked to opt-in for something like this. Can this be turned off?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    jdigital said:
    Thanks Jim, you're right, it's using Express Web Connect. I wasn't expecting the Quicken data center to store my password. Is there a way to avoid this?
    You can change to Direct Connect if your bank supports it. With Direct Connect, your computer communicates directly with a server controlled by your bank.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Go the Tools > Account list and find your bank account. In the Transaction download column, it will show the method Quicken is using to retrieve the transactions from your bank.

If the connection method is Express Web Connect, a server will log into your account using the user name and password you provided, usually overnight, to download and process the transactions.

Since you changed the password after setting up the account in Quicken, that login attempt failed, which produced the message you received.
  • jdigital
    jdigital Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jim, you're right, it's using Express Web Connect. I wasn't expecting the Quicken data center to store my password. Is there a way to avoid this?
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    jdigital said:
    You can change to Direct Connect if your bank supports it. With Direct Connect, your computer communicates directly with a server controlled by your bank.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, you you enable Quicken Cloud SYNC -
    and expect to use either Quicken on the Web (browser access)
    or the Quicken Mobile App -
    then of course your financial login credentials will be stored and your accounts will be accessed as needed...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.