Convert from Windows to Mac - banking and investment accounts did not work?

Triumph
Triumph Member ✭✭
Many months ago I tried with Support's help to convert from Windows on a virtual machine using Parallels to Mac. We found that communication between banking and investment accounts did not work at the time, so I had to revert to Windows.
I would still like to move to MAC and wonder if this problem has been eliminated in the latest Canadian versions?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    @Triumph I'm not aware of any changes or improvements to the conversion process; at least, I haven't seen any posts about it on this forum. But I also haven't seen any posts about conversion failing as you've described. 

When you tried the conversion, did you move the Quicken Windows data file from the Windows VM drive into a Mac folder (such as your Desktop or Documents folder)? After that, did you launch Quicken Mac, go to File >New, select to start from a Quicken Windows data file, and select that file?

Since you're on a Mac and can download the latest version of Quicken Mac, my suggestion is to simply try it (as described above). It will take you only a few minutes to run the experiment to see if it converts properly.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    @Triumph I'm sorry you didn't get good results. I keep my accounts manually, too, and that shouldn't be the source of your problem. But now that you've mentioned multi-currency issues, I understand why things may not convert correctly. It's an area I'm not deeply versed in because all my account are in USD, but Quicken Mac definitely lacks full multi-currency support. It's an area the programmers have marked as "planned" for future development, so there's hope that things with this aspect of the program will work better in the future. (Whether the Windows-to-Mac converter will be updated appropriately at that time is anyone's guess!) 

Answers

• jacobs
    @Triumph I'm not aware of any changes or improvements to the conversion process; at least, I haven't seen any posts about it on this forum. But I also haven't seen any posts about conversion failing as you've described. 

When you tried the conversion, did you move the Quicken Windows data file from the Windows VM drive into a Mac folder (such as your Desktop or Documents folder)? After that, did you launch Quicken Mac, go to File >New, select to start from a Quicken Windows data file, and select that file?

Since you're on a Mac and can download the latest version of Quicken Mac, my suggestion is to simply try it (as described above). It will take you only a few minutes to run the experiment to see if it converts properly.
  • Triumph
    Triumph Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the help Jacobs, I will take your advice and give it a try.
  • Triumph
    Triumph Member ✭✭
    I finally completed a Mac installation. The results were not satisfactory. about half the accounts show different values from windows and my US $ account doesn't convert to $Can. It may have something to do with the fact that I still keep my accounts manually! Thanks again Jacobs
  • jacobs
    @Triumph I'm sorry you didn't get good results. I keep my accounts manually, too, and that shouldn't be the source of your problem. But now that you've mentioned multi-currency issues, I understand why things may not convert correctly. It's an area I'm not deeply versed in because all my account are in USD, but Quicken Mac definitely lacks full multi-currency support. It's an area the programmers have marked as "planned" for future development, so there's hope that things with this aspect of the program will work better in the future. (Whether the Windows-to-Mac converter will be updated appropriately at that time is anyone's guess!) 
  • Triumph
    Triumph Member ✭✭
    I should live so long!!
This discussion has been closed.