Quicken Freezes During One Step Update

I have several accounts that will no longer update with One Step Update. Moreover, the only way to stop the process is to use task manager and kill the quicken process.
Version: R39.23
Banking Institutions Affected: Capital One, Citibank, Schwab
Connection Method: Express Web Connect

Mitigation Attempts:
1. I have tried deactivating and reactivating accounts
2. I ran the data file validation process
3. I have reviewed the community forums where this issue has been reported many times but was unable to find a resolution

Please advise on how to proceed.

Comments

• alther
    alther Member ✭✭
    I have been running into exactly the same problem for the past few weeks. I tried the same steps - deactivating/reactivating accounts and validating the data file. Even updating accounts individually freezes. The only thing that works is importing a data file that was downloaded manually, but even that now causes Quicken to peg the CPU for 1 minute or more, during which it's unresponsive and the screen simply flashes.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    arnielist said:
    I have several accounts that will no longer update with One Step Update. Moreover, the only way to stop the process is to use task manager and kill the quicken process.
    Version: R39.23
    Banking Institutions Affected: Capital One, Citibank, Schwab
    Connection Method: Express Web Connect

Mitigation Attempts:
    1. I have tried deactivating and reactivating accounts
    2. I ran the data file validation process
    3. I have reviewed the community forums where this issue has been reported many times but was unable to find a resolution

Please advise on how to proceed.
    Hello @arnielist

I am sorry to hear about these issues with updates and freezing. Thank you for reaching out about these problems here on the Quicken Community. 

Have you attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the Quicken software? You can follow the steps provided in the Support Articles linked here and here for further details on the proper steps to this process.

I also would like to draw your attention to the Open Alert available for CitiBank involving connection errors that may be related to the situation you are describing. You can follow the thread linked here for further details and any available updates.

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • arnielist
    arnielist Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared,

Here is an update.

1. I copied the QDF file to a new PC with a fresh copy of quicken and one step update froze (so it was not the install of quicken)
    2. I used an old QDF file that I had saved and one step update worked

This clearly points to a problem in the QDF file itself which I was unable to fix by simply deactivating and activating accounts. If there is any way to diagnose this further that would be appreciated.

Meanwhile, I spent a few hours correcting transactions in my accounts so I am now back to having a somewhat usable version but I know that the balances are incorrect and reconciliation will be close to impossible. As such, fixing the old QDF file is still preferred.

This is quite frustrating!
  • Quicken Jared
    edited May 2022
    arnielist said:
    Hi Jared,

Here is an update.

1. I copied the QDF file to a new PC with a fresh copy of quicken and one step update froze (so it was not the install of quicken)
    2. I used an old QDF file that I had saved and one step update worked

This clearly points to a problem in the QDF file itself which I was unable to fix by simply deactivating and activating accounts. If there is any way to diagnose this further that would be appreciated.

Meanwhile, I spent a few hours correcting transactions in my accounts so I am now back to having a somewhat usable version but I know that the balances are incorrect and reconciliation will be close to impossible. As such, fixing the old QDF file is still preferred.

This is quite frustrating!
    Hello @arnielist

Thank you for getting back to me with more information about the situation as it unfolds. I am sorry that there seem to be ongoing problems with the Quicken data file.

Have you attempted validating and super validating the data file? Save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen then follow the instructions provided below:

Validate:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Super Validate:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing from you once these steps have been attempted. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • arnielist
    arnielist Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared,

I did try this originally but I tried again following your instructions.

Note: When I run validate, a subdirectory is created named validate that contains another copy of my QDF file. Since your instructions did not indicate to use the file in that directory, I am assuming the QDF I opened is replaced during the validate process.

I followed your instructions step by step.

Subsequent to running validate and super validate the issue still persists.

Please advise.
  • Quicken Jared
    arnielist said:
    Hi Jared,

I did try this originally but I tried again following your instructions.

Note: When I run validate, a subdirectory is created named validate that contains another copy of my QDF file. Since your instructions did not indicate to use the file in that directory, I am assuming the QDF I opened is replaced during the validate process.

I followed your instructions step by step.

Subsequent to running validate and super validate the issue still persists.

Please advise.
    Hello @arnielist

I am sorry to hear that the issue is continuing after the validation and supervalidation of the data file. Thank you for continuing to work with me on this problem.

At this stage, the next option would be to copy the data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect up all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc. if you plan to use that copied file going forward as the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If you still wish to proceed, please follow the instructions below, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next
    5. Save to file location of your choice
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK
    After this is done, I also recommend running a validation and supervalidation of the newly created copy of the data file, using the steps provided in my previous response.

I hope to hear more from you soon,

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.