Unlocked Memorized Payee Entry Does Not Update

jadney
jadney Member ✭✭
I have several entries in my Memorized Payee List which do not update even though they are not locked. They are actually payers, not payees, but they seem to be memorized and work other than my having to edit their details manually. Should memorized payers update the same as payees? Everything else seems to work perfectly.
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    In Quicken, payers and payees are synonymous terms.

You should be able to coerce a memorized payee from a register by selecting the transaction and pressing Ctrl + M.  If you would like Quicken to automatically memorize payees, you may want to check the Automatically memorize new payees preference: select Edit > Preferences...

• jadney
    jadney Member ✭✭
    It sounds like my question wasn't clear enough. This payer is already memorized. It is NOT marked as Locked in my Memorized Payee list. When I enter a new transaction from that payer the old memorized data comes up, and I'm able to edit it and add the new data. But that new data does NOT flow to the memorized list, as I suspect it should when I save that entry.

In other words, the Memorized Payee list acts as if all its entries are locked.

Am I misunderstanding what Locked vs. Unlocked means?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    jadney said:
    It sounds like my question wasn't clear enough. This payer is already memorized. It is NOT marked as Locked in my Memorized Payee list. When I enter a new transaction from that payer the old memorized data comes up, and I'm able to edit it and add the new data. But that new data does NOT flow to the memorized list, as I suspect it should when I save that entry.

In other words, the Memorized Payee list acts as if all its entries are locked.

Am I misunderstanding what Locked vs. Unlocked means?
    If you have already checked the Automatically memorize new payees preference, I suggest rebuild the Memorized Payee List: press Ctrl + Shift and select Tools > Memorized Payee List

Before making significant changes to your Quicken file , always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Sherlock said:
    I suggest rebuild the Memorized Payee List: press Ctrl + Shift and select Tools > Memorized Payee List
    @Sherlock , What exactly happens when you rebuild the MPL?  First I hear about this and like to learn more before trying it.  TIA.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    BK said:
    Sherlock said:
    I suggest rebuild the Memorized Payee List: press Ctrl + Shift and select Tools > Memorized Payee List
    @Sherlock , What exactly happens when you rebuild the MPL?  First I hear about this and like to learn more before trying it.  TIA.
    My understanding is Quicken rebuilds the Memorized Payee List and QuickFill Payee list from existing register transactions.  If you have customized Memorized Payee List entries, you may need to reset them after rebuilding.   I only recommend rebuilding the list when there are apparent corruptions.  In this case, Quicken is apparently not updating memorized payees when it should.
  • jadney
    jadney Member ✭✭
    What is the QuickFill Payee List? Is it something distinct from the MPL? First I've heard of this.

I don't want to automatically add new payees to the MPL. I just have a limited number of transactions/payees that tend to repeat.

Rebuilding sounds potentially painful. I guess that's why the backup.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    jadney said:
    What is the QuickFill Payee List? Is it something distinct from the MPL? First I've heard of this.

I don't want to automatically add new payees to the MPL. I just have a limited number of transactions/payees that tend to repeat.

Rebuilding sounds potentially painful. I guess that's why the backup.
    The QuickFill Payee list is the payee menu used when entering a payee in a register.

If you do not want Quicken to automatically add new payees to the Memorized Payee List, then you must manually memorize the transaction to update the Memorized Payee List.  As explained earlier, one way to do that is select the transaction in the register and press Ctrl + M.

Note:  The purpose of saving a backup is to enable you to revert the changes you made for any reason since you saved the backup.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I had some issues with my MPL and auto entry and "I think" rebuilding it may have just resolved it (THANK YOU @Sherlock ).  This is what happened once I rebuilt: After the rebuild, it did add many many extra payees to my MPL that I didn't want.  Given that I already made screenshots of my MPL (and had backups too), using that I was able to mass-select (Ctlr+click) the unwanted payees and delete them.  Overall I spent 15 mins to clean it up and I think my MPL is now back in the working order.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.