Strange category activity

Options
Rick56
Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
I was doing my bi monthly reconcile on my checking and I was off $644 since 2 weeks ago. After closely checking my checking register and the bank register, I found that the categories on the last 3 payments for my 2 USAA credit cards were showing the credit card account rather than the checking account I paid them from. I am not sure when or how this happened. Has anyone seen anything like this? I did have to redo my download functionality for USAA when they changed to 2 step verification. Could this have caused the problem? Just weird.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In your checking account, what shows in the Category field for those transactions?
    Is should be the name of that credit card, in your Q, surrounded by square brackets, e.g. [VISA]
    If it shows the name of the checking account itself, it's a transfer back to the same account which would have no impact and wouldn't reduce the balance in checking.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rick56
    Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    NotACPA - Before I made the change of categories, the payments to my credit card accounts did not show at all in the checking account because the categories in the payment transaction of the credit card accounts were listed as the credit card accounts themselves. So the bank had the transactions listed but my Quicken checking did not (i.e. not reconciled).
    Once I made the proper change, the checking account category showed in the payment transaction of the credit card ledgers and the credit accounts categories showed in the payment transaction of checking ledger. This fixed my reconcile.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AAAHHH, so you originated the card payment from the card account.  My response assumed that you originated it from the checking account.
    BUT, glad that you got it figured out.

• Rick56
    Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Fixed but not figured out. There is no way that I didn't check to make sure the payments were in my checking account for the last three months. I am downright OCD about confirming the payments are listed in checking AND the credit card ledgers. I perform my transactions from the Bills & Income tab then check to see if they are listed in my checking account.
    Which brings me back to my original question. Has anyone seen that transaction categories change in the ledgers?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do you use Q Mobile?  Or Q on the web?
    Downloads from either of those free services have been know to screw up your data.
    BUT, changing the category on transactions is something that I haven't previously heard.
    And even the "cat walking across the keyboard" wouldn't explain how those transactions became "self-referencing" .... unless your cat knows how to type :D

• Rick56
    Rick56 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    No mobile or on the web. Quicken Deluxe version R40.13. No cats (secretarial or otherwise) :)
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.