Quicken Mac can take 5-10 minutes to open file

Options
Perry Gershon
Perry Gershon Member ✭✭
I have been a Quicken Mac user for decades. Using the most recent version of quicken Version 6.7.0 (Build 607.44072.100) with macOS 12.3.1. For the last 10 days or so, my main Quicken file (82.7 MB) has taken generally 5-10 minutes to open, and sometimes longer (I have had to force quit a few times and start again after application not responding messages). I do not have this issue at all with my smaller quicken files that I open periodically (different accounts). I can have the app open, switch to the small file no problem, then try to open the large one and it stalls.

I suspect there is some kind of corruption in my file or a synced copy of my file, as opposed to the issue being sheer size, but I don't know for sure. My file houses transactions from 2007-2022.

Any ideas on what I might try to correct. These long waits to open file are irritating.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I agree that the size/age of your file isn't the culprit.

First, I'd verify that your large file is stored locally on your hard drive, and not on any cloud storage service like Dropbox, OneDrive or iCloud. (That includes your Desktop or Documents folder if you have your System Preferences for iCloud set to store the contents of those folders.) You mentioned a synced copy, so if you have Dropbox storage involved, that is very likely to be a culprit. 

If online storage/syncing is not involved, then my next thought is to find back to the backup of your file Quicken created when you updated to version 6.7 a few days ago. It will be in the Automatic Backups folder with a filename of "BACKUP (Pre-Update) - {your data file name} {date backed up}.quickenbackup". Make a copy of that file, then double-click it to open the backup. If something weird happened during the update, starting with your pre-update data file might perform the update this time without incident.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Perry Gershon
    Perry Gershon Member ✭✭
    Options
    File is kept in my documents folder on external HD. But so are the other files which work perfectly. And the problem is really odd. I thought I had fixed it this morning as file was opening in seconds from start-up and from file switch. Then I came back 6 hours later and it took 5 mins to start. It always opens, but something seems to periodically hold it up.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Try creating a Quicken folder within your home User folder, and moving you Quicken file there. Any difference?

Try restarting your Mac in safe mode (hold down Shift key while restarting, until after the Apple logo appears).

Just trying to eliminate/isolate possible culprits…
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.