Fix manual payments to credit cards

wolfwoman
wolfwoman Member ✭✭
I paid bills today and manually input several payments to credit cards by using the transfer to function. It reversed the transactions so that it shows a credit in my checking and a debit in the credit card! What am I doing wrong?!?

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Without seeing what you actually did it's hard to say what caused this issue.  The two most likely causes are:
    1. That you had entered the transfers as transfers to your checking account from your credit cards instead of from the checking account to your credit cards.
    2. Or that you entered the transfers from your checking account as negative numbers.  That would put the payment amounts in the credit column in the checking account and in the debit column in the credit card accounts..
    If you have not already figured it out, the fix is to edit the transaction in the checking account by entering the payment amount (a positive number) into the debit column and then saving it.  Or you can edit the transaction in the credit card accounts by entering the payment amounts in the credit column.  Either of these edits will then automatically correct the transaction in the other account.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Without seeing what you actually did it's hard to say what caused this issue.  The two most likely causes are:
    1. That you had entered the transfers as transfers to your checking account from your credit cards instead of from the checking account to your credit cards.
    2. Or that you entered the transfers from your checking account as negative numbers.  That would put the payment amounts in the credit column in the checking account and in the debit column in the credit card accounts..
    If you have not already figured it out, the fix is to edit the transaction in the checking account by entering the payment amount (a positive number) into the debit column and then saving it.  Or you can edit the transaction in the credit card accounts by entering the payment amounts in the credit column.  Either of these edits will then automatically correct the transaction in the other account.

• wolfwoman
    wolfwoman Member ✭✭
    :) Thank you so much! I used Quicken years ago but it's different (better) now and I didn't think of the transactions properly. It all makes perfect sense now.
  • Boatnmaniac
    You are welcome.  And welcome back to the world of Quicken!

This discussion has been closed.