Getting error message "One or more backup files are missing" when trying to restore on new computer.

PatMcGee
PatMcGee Member
My hard drive crashed and I had to get a new computer. Luckily I had backed up my Quicken data on an external hard drive. When I installed my Quicken 2001 Deluxe on my new computer and tried to restore my data, I get the "One or more backup files are missing" error message. Is there any way to restore my files?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Did you really mean to say you're using Quicken 2001, or is that a typo? And please confirm that this is for Quicken Mac, not Windows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • PatMcGee
    PatMcGee Member
    Yes, I still have my old copy of Quicken 2001 Deluxe for Windows. I am a few months shy of 80 years old and don't want to struggle with learning new software and all it's "features". Now I am thinking that maybe there were backup files on Windows7 that didn't make it to Windows11 which is what came on my new computer. Is that possible?
  • PatMcGee
    PatMcGee Member
    I think the problem is that I may have updated my 2001 version. I backed the version of Quicken I put on my new computer and ended up with 4 files QDATA, QDATA.QEL,QDATA.QPH, and QDATA.QSD. The file on my external drive is a single file labeled QDATA1.QDF-backup. Can anyone tell what version of Quicken would have the single file labeled QDATA1.QDF-backup? If I could get to that version, I might be able to recover my data. Thanks for any help someone can give me.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The .qdf-backup extension came out later like in 2008 or 2010.  So you must have upgraded over the years.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF, .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

So you need to install a newer version.  You can get Q2013 for free.  Hopefully you haven't upgraded newer than 2013.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.  2013 is the last good version before they started requiring an ID.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• PatMcGee
    PatMcGee Member
    I went through the steps and have 2013 on my computer now, but when I tried to restore my data , I got the message "Cannot open file. The QDR file is from a later version of Quicken." Do you know what the next version is and can I download it as well? I really appreciate your help.Thanks.
  • PatMcGee
    PatMcGee Member
    Does anyone know how I can find out what version I was on when my computer crashed? If I knew, I could update to that version and hopefully get my data back. Thanks.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please check your credit card statements. Within the last 12 months, did you pay Quicken Inc. or any other software retailer for purchasing a new version of Quicken or renewing your Quicken subscription?
    If you purchased a new version directly from Quicken Inc you can download the software by following these instructions: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it
    Typically, your email address is your "Quicken ID".
This discussion has been closed.