disk full when saving [Quicken Windows 6, UK version]

noneqkn
noneqkn Member ✭✭
hi there,
many thanks to sherlock, ps56k2, volvogirl and ukr for answering my previous question, how to transfer to win7 computer.
in answering some questions, posed

the owner would continue with windows xp, but wants to print, and the new printer wont talk to xp, needs newer. wont spend the money just to print, needs a new computer, i have one spare to rebuild.

yes, it is quicken 6, not 2006 or 2016, i can read the cd box!!!.
and yes, its old fashioned, i have the installation CD . . . .

my next problem,
when i tried to save the backup files, it told me the disk was full!!
it wasnt, i later copied a screen snapshot to the flash drive.
the owner had a 1.8tg external drive, with loads of space, i attached, same answer, the drive is full.
can anyone think of a reason why it would suggest the disk is full?

shelock hyperlinked me a quicken support page, and i need these files,

Quicken Win 5 and 6
QDB (primary file)
QSD
QEL
QMD

can i drag and drop these files onto the new computer, and will quicken work?

many thanks
don
noneqkn

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're getting the "disk full" error because your old Quicken does not support these huge external drives. It's more programmed towards floppies, CDs or memory sticks with less than 2 GB total size, formatted FAT16 or FAT32.
    Try an old-fashioned small memory stick with less than 2 GB size.
    Printing ... try, if available, printing to the Quicken PDF Printer or any other already installed PDF file creation tool, store it on memory stick and transfer to another PC with Adobe Acrobat Reader, then print from there.
    It's really time to try to update to at least Q 2013 Deluxe, available for free as part of this upgrade procedure:

http://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

• noneqkn
    noneqkn Member ✭✭
    hi UKR,
    i would upgrade in a flash, but the user is very old fashioned, and likes the one hes used for years. and he says that the newer ones dont take into account shares??, i dont know, its what he says.
    does quicken 2013 act like the quicken6?
    could i drag and drop onto the flash drive?
    many thanks UKR
    don
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget the external 1.8TB drive. Use a 2GB or less memory stick to save Quicken-created backups to.
    At some point in time, when the old XP machine goes to where all dead PCs go, you and the user will find out the hard way that being old fashioned has left you with no way forward. Even now, with your Quicken so old, it's no longer supported for a direct upgrade from Q 6 to Q 2013 using the procedure I mentioned.
    Yes, if you want to try upgrading the Quicken software using this procedure on a separate PC (do not upset the old XP system!), you can try to copy the active file set from the old system to the new one. Store in \Documents\Quicken folder to stay within Windows recommended file structure guidelines. Try to access with Q 2004, also available for download within the procedure.
    I hope that we're talking about the US version of Quicken 6 and not a foreign version (UK, Europe) because that won't convert.
    I don't remember ever using Q 6, so I don't know how alike or different Q 2013 is, but at least it'll be "similar".
    Ask the user to elaborate on not "taking into account shares". At some point in time quite a few years ago, Quicken redefined the available feature levels. What used to be called Basic is now the Starter Edition. It handles all sorts of banking accounts, but not investment accounts, asset and liability accounts or small business accounts receivable and payable. The next higher feature level is Deluxe. It supports what Starter does plus investment, asset and liability. The Premier level is Deluxe plus more investment functions. Finally, there's the top level, Home, Business and Rental Property Management. It builds on Premier and adds small business and rental property basic functionality. Typically, the Deluxe feature level should do all your user needs to do. And the free Q 2013 download is at the Deluxe level. It'll run on Windows 10 (may be even 11, but I don't know exactly)
  • noneqkn
    noneqkn Member ✭✭
    hi UKR,
    yes, sorry Im foreign, uk based
    (oh Hell)
    quicken 6 GB
  • noneqkn
    noneqkn Member ✭✭
    will that not convert?
    many thanks
    don
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I've read here in the Community, conversion of old UK versions' data files using the US programs directly won't work. There may be complicated workarounds, but even those aren't guaranteed.
    The only thing I can think of might be: see if Q 6 has a File / Export in QIF format option. If so, take the generated QIF file and try to import it into an empty data file using Q 2004 or Q 2013. Can't guarantee that it'll work, but it's better than starting from scratch with a blank file. Recognition of account currencies might be the biggest problem.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth none of them are radically different, but if Quicken 6 UK is like Quicken 6 US it doesn't really look the same as Quicken 2004.  Quicken 2004 and above are closer in looks to the newest Quicken than Quicken 6 is to Quicken 2004.
    Quicken Windows 6 (Which BTW is 1996)

Quicken 2004:

Quicken 2013:

Quicken Subscription (latest version):

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • noneqkn
    noneqkn Member ✭✭
    its not so much the looks, but the actions within. does the US version act differently to the UK version, because of the tax laws?, or is this a simple add and takeaway machine, simple answers please, i am not an accountant, i use, work computers . . . or can the complexities of the accounting being adjusted from within quicken?
    cheers
    don
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The tax laws would certainly be different.  I have no idea how much tax planning there was in the UK version and as such couldn't judge what the differences are on here.  There are a few people that switched from the UK version to the US version, but they might be doing all the tax outside of Quicken.  I'm not sure any of those UK users will see this thread.

What "edition level" of Quicken 6 is this?
    Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business.
    Is this for a business?

I just looked at Quicken 6 US, and it has a tax planner and such.  I would think those for both countries this kind of feature would be wildly out of date.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.