Can I RE-install Q 2005 to correct printer setting error

Options
tomseeley
tomseeley Member
I’m using Quicken 2005 on a windows 10 desktop and a canon pixma TS6120 printer. Up till recently it has all worked flawlessly for nearly 17 years! I like it. But recently Q has messed up its printer settings. I’d like to try reinstalling from my original Quicken 2005 CD, but I don’t want to lose all my data.

Would reinstalling require me to uninstall first? Would that destroy all my data files? If I backed up my current data first, saved it to a non-Quicken folder on my hard drive, or better yet to a flash drive, and then reinstalled, would that work?

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Before attempting to re-install, try resetting Quicken's printer settings in Validate & Repair. (See below. I hope that existed back in Q2005.) Then manually re-enter your personal printer's settings under Printer Setup.
    You can uninstall and reinstall Quicken without damaging your data, but there's no reason to suspect that reinstalling Q2005 will fix your issue anyway.
    Try the printer settings first and come back if that fails to solve your problem.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited May 2022
    Options
    PS, if that option doesn't appear for you in Q2005, the manual way to clear out printer settings is to rename or delete the file WPR.DAT which you can find in Quicken's folder in %APPDATA%.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options
    Oh, now I see your other thread. Better to keep your questions together.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't believe Quicken 2005 has this option in Validate and Repair, you have to do it the "old school way" and delete the printer settings.

• Close Quicken
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename the file
      C:\Users\_username_\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config\WPR.DAT to WPR.OLD
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • tomseeley
    tomseeley Member
    Options
    Sorry I split related msgs when I shoulda kept ‘em together. I never do that right! Your answers to the first msg in printer pblms we’re spot on! Thank you both!
This discussion has been closed.