Quicken won't run after Mac OS 12.4 update

mayall
mayall Member ✭✭
After updating to Mac OS 12.4 (Monterey), Quicken quits immediately at launch. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2022
    Which version of Quicken are you using? If you control-click on the Quicken app in the Finder and select Get Info, the dialog that pops up will include the version number:

Personally I've not had problems with either 6.7.0 or 6.7.1 under 12.4.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    mayall said:
    After updating to Mac OS 12.4 (Monterey), Quicken quits immediately at launch. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken.
    You might create a new user account on your Mac and then try launching Quicken. 

If Quicken launches successfully in the new account then the suspicion is that there is something wrong with your current user account.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • mayall
    mayall Member ✭✭
    I'm running Quicken 6.7.1.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @mayall Did you try as @lhossus suggested? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mayall
    mayall Member ✭✭
    I found the problem. I know it is not recommended, but I use symbolic aliases to point to Quicken folders in a "non-standard" location. All of the aliases where corrupted in the Mac OS update. Hard to understand why that would be but it was. On the other hand, Quicken should certainly not simply crash.
  • mayall
    mayall Member ✭✭
    > @mayall said:
    > ...symbolic aliases...

Should have been symbolic links.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Your Quicken data file is not simply a file. It is a Mac "package", which is a wrapper around a bunch of files and folders to make it look like a single file. (If you're not familiar with package files, Control-click on your Quicken data file and select Show Package Contents from the pop-up menu to see what's inside.) If you're not storing Quicken on your local hard drive, all sorts of problems can develop, from crashes to freezes to data errors. This is why Quicken does not support locating your data file anywhere other than your local hard drive.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Wade Shanley
    Wade Shanley Member ✭✭✭
    Im having this same issue. older iMac 27 (2017). clean install of Monterey 12.4 . this was a conversion of a Windows Quicken file, but I was able to get it open, work on it all day yesterday. come back today and it just will not open. oddly when I launch quicken the menu bar at top appears but Quicken UI never opens, spinning pinwheel. end up having to force quit. I checked and my Quicken file is in the default location. any ideas?
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... when I launch quicken the menu bar at top appears but Quicken UI never opens, spinning pinwheel. end up having to force quit. I checked and my Quicken file is in the default location. any ideas?
    1) Hold down the Shift key and launch Quicken from the Dock or by clicking on the app file in Applications.

2a) If Quicken launches cleanly, then

i)   Pick the Quicken Data file of your choice.
       ii)  If the latest Data file causes problems, then try a backup file - which you can access from Quicken's menu: File > Restore from Backup...

2b) If Quicken will still not launch properly, then time for a re-install of Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
This discussion has been closed.