6.7.0 - 6.7.1 update issue from 6.6.2

krsnet
krsnet Member ✭✭
Used to keep my Quicken File on Google Drive (encrypted) so there was always a cloud share backup. I also backup using BackBlaze and Time Capsule since Quicken holds every transaction since around 1994 of mine (I'm might've used Quicken 1.0.....). Now when I try to update from 6.6.2 to 6.7.0 and now 6.7.1, it fails when tries to update the file with "The document "xxxxx.quicken" could not be opened. "xxxxx.quicken" was last opened on Monday, May 23, 2022 by Quicken 6.6.2 (Build 606.43218.100). Choose Quicken > Check for Updates to make sure you have the latest version of Quicken. You are currently using version 6.7.1. If I drag the file out of Google Drive, it opens successfully... Guess I won't have the extra backup protection of this critical data after 6.7.x update.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Storing your active data file on Google Drive (or iCloud or Dropbox) has actually never been supported for Quicken Mac. All sorts of bad things can happen when using cloud storage rather than your local hard drive, so consider yourself lucky that you haven't been bit with data errors or getting locked out of your data file as some other users have. ;)

That said, you don't need to lose any backup protection by storing your active data file on your local hard drive. Time Machine will continue to back up the data file. You can specify a folder synced to Google Drive as the location for your automatically generated Quicken backups if you wish.

I sure my data file on the hard drive. I store my backups (at least 25 auto-generated, plus roughly monthly manually generated) on my hard drive as well. This way, time Machine is backing up both my current data file and all my backups. I use iDrive (similar to BackBlaze) for cloud backup, so my cloud backups include the current data file as well as all my backups. I also periodically do a whole-drive backup to an external hard drive using SuperDuper! You could instead periodically copy your Quicken Backups folder to Google Drive for this third level of protection. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.