Fidelity investments download was incomplete... how to fix?

RedCab
RedCab Member ✭✭
Hello,
I have a "managed" account with Fidelity Investments and motivated by the market volatility there was A LOT of tax loss harvesting sales and purchases on May 20. Too many to count. It appears that the download overwhelmed Quicken because I'm left with MANY positions to reconcile between "online" quantity and "Quicken" quantity. I've tried rerunning "update / download" many times and the missing transactions remain missing.
Is there a way to force a download of all transactions in that account for May 20? Then I could pick thru them and accept / delete to true things up. Or any other ideas?
Thx.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    There is no way to force another download of the missing transactions for 5/20 in your primary data file.   A couple of suggestions...be sure to backup up your file before proceeding.:
    1)  Restore a backup file from prior to 5/20.  Then run OSU.  The main issue for this is that this process will affect all accounts, not just Fidelity.  But if your backup file is from about 5/19 then there will not be many days of transactions that will be missing and need to be updated, again.
    2)  Another option: 
    • Create a new Quicken data file (File > New Quicken File).  Name it something unique...TEST works well for this exercise. 
    • Add only your Fidelity account to this file and set it up for download. 
    • When it is set up and transactions have been downloaded, manually delete all transactions for dates other than 5/20.  An easy and fast way to do this is to open a Transaction (Reports > Banking > Transaction).  Make sure the report is sorted by date.  Then:  Left click on the oldest dated transaction > scroll down to the last transaction before 5/20 and while holding down the Shift key left click on that (this will shade all of those transactions) > right click anywhere on the shaded transactions > left click on Delete Transaction(s) > OK.  This will delete all of the shaded transaction from the Fidelity account register. 
    • Repeat this transaction deletion process for all transactions dated later than 5/20.  When completed, only the 5/20 transactions should remain in the register.
    • At this point you will want to delete any transactions for 5/20 in this TEST file that were previously downloaded into your primary data file.  If you do not do this the next steps will cause there to be duplicate transactions to be entered into your primary data file and they will then need to be manually deleted there.
    • Export this TEST file in QIF format (File > File Export > QIF File).  Save the file on your hard drive.
    • Open your primary data file.
    • Go to File > File Import > QIF File > browse to where you saved the QIF file and select that QIF file > select the Fidelity account to import the data into > Import.
    • The 5/20 transactions should now be in your Fidelity account register.
    Did either of these steps resolve your missing transactions issue?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    RedCab said:
    ....Very fortunately, my onedrive version control periodically syncing automatically rescued me. Thankfully it can copy the file even when it's open, as I have a habit of not exiting Quicken (startup is way too long- another gripe). I was able to restore to a version from 5/19/2022 and then spent 20 mins clicking though a lot of past transactions in all my accounts.....
    @RedCab - I'm glad the backup file option resolved your missing transactions issue.
    Regarding the length of time that it takes to start up Quicken:  Do you have Quicken set up to run OSU when the program opens?  That can add several minutes to the amount of time it takes Quicken to open.  If so, you might want to go to Edit > Preferences > Startup > make sure the box for "Download Transactions when Quicken starts" is unchecked.  The amount of time it will take OSU to run will not be changed but it will then be run later when you decide to do it instead of every time Quicken opens.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited May 2022
    Hello @RedCab

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are also experiencing this error. 

First, I suggest creating a test file and adding the Fidelity Investments account(s) to see if it produces the same error with many transactions missing. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    There is no way to force another download of the missing transactions for 5/20 in your primary data file.   A couple of suggestions...be sure to backup up your file before proceeding.:
    1)  Restore a backup file from prior to 5/20.  Then run OSU.  The main issue for this is that this process will affect all accounts, not just Fidelity.  But if your backup file is from about 5/19 then there will not be many days of transactions that will be missing and need to be updated, again.
    2)  Another option: 
    • Create a new Quicken data file (File > New Quicken File).  Name it something unique...TEST works well for this exercise. 
    • Add only your Fidelity account to this file and set it up for download. 
    • When it is set up and transactions have been downloaded, manually delete all transactions for dates other than 5/20.  An easy and fast way to do this is to open a Transaction (Reports > Banking > Transaction).  Make sure the report is sorted by date.  Then:  Left click on the oldest dated transaction > scroll down to the last transaction before 5/20 and while holding down the Shift key left click on that (this will shade all of those transactions) > right click anywhere on the shaded transactions > left click on Delete Transaction(s) > OK.  This will delete all of the shaded transaction from the Fidelity account register. 
    • Repeat this transaction deletion process for all transactions dated later than 5/20.  When completed, only the 5/20 transactions should remain in the register.
    • At this point you will want to delete any transactions for 5/20 in this TEST file that were previously downloaded into your primary data file.  If you do not do this the next steps will cause there to be duplicate transactions to be entered into your primary data file and they will then need to be manually deleted there.
    • Export this TEST file in QIF format (File > File Export > QIF File).  Save the file on your hard drive.
    • Open your primary data file.
    • Go to File > File Import > QIF File > browse to where you saved the QIF file and select that QIF file > select the Fidelity account to import the data into > Import.
    • The 5/20 transactions should now be in your Fidelity account register.
    Did either of these steps resolve your missing transactions issue?

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    Thanks for those ideas... I'll think thru an approach that minimizes risk of screwing up the database in a way that will be hard to recover.

Does Quicken have a limitation on the number of transactions that can be in the import file?
  • Boatnmaniac
    @RedCab - Actually, I think the 1st option I suggested (restoring a backup file from just before 5/20) is probably the safest, easiest and fastest way to go because it involves updating accounts with a week or less of data.  Just back up your primary data file before proceeding so you can quickly restore it if something goes wrong.  Of course, that assumes you have a backup file from shortly before 5/20.
    I am not aware of any number of transactions limitations in an import file but perhaps someone else knows more about this and will comment here.
    I am curious about which method of importing you are considering.  There are not many options that I am aware of.  Would you care to let me know?

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    I have auto back up set after every 5 times I run Quicken, but now I realize my habit of not closing Quicken daily has delayed the backup... the last one is May 5... a bit old. I haven't looked into my online OneDrive storage, but if that's functioning correctly I may have a more recent timestamped version. I think it can backup even when the file is open (I hope!).

I reached out to Fidelity and they sent me directions involving going to the Online Center and then hold down the control key and click "contact info" to reveal a hidden dialog that leads you through "Refresh Online Transaction Info". I did this (set date to 5/20/2022 and then update/send the acct)... and it didn't work. I'm interested if you look at that hidden dialog...maybe it'll remind you of something I didn't do correctly?

Failing that I'm going to most likely take the route of creating a new Q file with just the one account that's missing transactions, do the download, edit out the bad ones, then export / import the QIF file as @Boatnmaniac suggested.
  • @redcap - where do you keep your data file?  I noticed that you mentioned OneDrive for backups.
  • RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    I have backups in 2 places...
    1. Quicken does a backup into the Quicken Data / Backup folder
    2. I use OneDrive (cloud) and it automatically backs up and timestamps any file in my workspace that it sees change to. If you're not familiar with this function its within the "version history" stored of every file.
  • It sounds like you use Windows "File History" to back up all your documents, including Quicken Data Files to OneDrive, which is a good thing to do.  But I guess my question really was, where is your Quicken Data File located? 
  • RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    oh, sorry about the misunderstanding.
    The active quicken data file is on my hard drive in the folder Quicken Data which was created by Quicken during installation. Within that folder, also created during installation is a folder called Backups. Within that...
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022
    @Redcab - ok good.  I was afraid that you had your Quicken data file there also.  One thing about OneDrive that I noticed - it is very slow.  I used to back up my Quicken Data files there until I saw how long it took to save (copy) a backup file.  When you use the "File Copy" feature in Windows, it automatically backs up files once an hour (default) in the background. And, as I mentioned, I noticed how long it took to backup Quicken Data Files to OneDrive.  During this background backup process, you could be in your Quicken Data File, doing updates, running an OSU, etc.  I think you've heard people say that the Quicken Data file is very fragile.  Any file conflict, process interruption, or abnormal termination can corrupt the file.  I have a feeling the OSU was terminated or froze in the middle of the process.  That is probably why you only got part of your transactions downloaded.  @Boatmanic 's suggestions are good ones.  They would get you back to where you were before the fiasco happened and then you can update to current.

Ongoing, to keep your data file and backup's safe.  back up your Quicken data files directly to OneDrive, rather than use File Copy.  This way they won't be backing up in the background without you knowing it.  But again, backing up to OneDrive is very slow, so you would need to wait until you are sure the backup is done.  The best place to backup a Quicken Data File, in my opinion is to an external drive, a USB Flash Drive, or DropBox.  I know that Quicken offers DropBox for free with every subscription.  The only limitation to that I see, is that it is only 5 GB (but you can always pay for extra storage space).

• Boatnmaniac
    RedCab said:
    I have auto back up set after every 5 times I run Quicken, but now I realize my habit of not closing Quicken daily has delayed the backup... the last one is May 5... a bit old. I haven't looked into my online OneDrive storage, but if that's functioning correctly I may have a more recent timestamped version. I think it can backup even when the file is open (I hope!).
    Good to hear you have auto back ups set up.  I have mine set to back up at the close of every session and to keep the last 35 back ups.  But I also usually do 2 sessions each day (except on weekends and holidays) so that is really only about 2-1/2 wks of back-ups.  Personally I have found  more frequent back ups to be very helpful on many occasions.
    I reached out to Fidelity and they sent me directions involving going to the Online Center and then hold down the control key and click "contact info" to reveal a hidden dialog that leads you through "Refresh Online Transaction Info". I did this (set date to 5/20/2022 and then update/send the acct)... and it didn't work. I'm interested if you look at that hidden dialog...maybe it'll remind you of something I didn't do correctly?
    No, you didn't do anything wrong.  It just doesn't do what you wanted it to do.  I understand doing that can sometimes help if the transactions had not previously downloaded.  However, it will not cause transactions to get entered into the account register if they had previously been downloaded...even if they later got deleted or for some odd reason simply just don't show up in the register.  It is a function of Quicken to ensure that previously downloaded transactions do not get entered into the register, again.  If Quicken didn't do that then we would be inundated with duplicate transactions being entered into account registers every time we run OSU.  And since most financial institutions download 30-90 days of transactions everytime we run OSU that would be a lot of duplicates that we'd need to then manually delete.
    Which reminds me, if the transactions did get downloaded it could be that they are for some odd reason in your register but just not visible.  You might want to go to Edit > Preferences > Investment Transactions > make sure the box for Show hidden transactions is checked.  If it wasn't checked, check it and then take a look at the register to see if the missing transactions are now visible.
    Failing that I'm going to most likely take the route of creating a new Q file with just the one account that's missing transactions, do the download, edit out the bad ones, then export / import the QIF file as @Boatnmaniac suggested.
    Here is another option that I did not mention earlier that you could try. 
    • In your online Fidelity account, click on "Activity & Orders" for the account in question.
    • Select the Custom time period (for 5/20/2022).
    • Click on Download (it has an Excel icon).  This will download the transactions for that date in CSV format.  Save the file on your hard drive.
    • Read up on and download ImportQIF from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/.  It is a freeware conversion program developed by a longtime Quicken user and active participant in this Community.  It can convert the CSV file you downloaded into a QIF format that Quicken can then import.  I have not used this program myself but quite a few others in this Community have said it works well. 
    One last idea:  You did not say how many transactions are missing in your account in Quicken.  If the number is not too great you might just find it easier to manually enter those missing transactions.
    I hope one of these options works well for you.  Let me know if you have any questions.

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    Thx for all your comments and help.

To put it in perspective, there were 302 transactions downloaded on 5/20/2022 and probably 1/3 of them were lost. The "reconcile shares" dialog window could scroll about 10 times! I didn't want to manually go thru each position and manually adjust. I considered using the "create placeholders" process, but again, way too much manual intervention. Similarly considered the other suggestions to create another file to import just transactions on the bad date, but all would have required a lot of manual intervention to pick thru and fix selected transactions.

Very fortunately, my onedrive version control periodically syncing automatically rescued me. Thankfully it can copy the file even when it's open, as I have a habit of not exiting Quicken (startup is way too long- another gripe). I was able to restore to a version from 5/19/2022 and then spent 20 mins clicking though a lot of past transactions in all my accounts.

One big compromise (and another Quicken nit I have). The massive stock selling occurred in a managed account that uses tax loss harvesting as a strategy. Usually I have the "download investment" setting such that I manually pick the "minimum gain" lots for each transaction to keep my gain/losses accurate. There is another thread asking Quicken to implement an automatic "minimum gain" script (adding to the automatic "FIFO" or "LIFO" choices). I didn't want to spend a hour picking lots, so I temporarily changed the setting to automatically run the LIFO script. The gain/loss accounting is now wrong, but I saved an hour of my life. Thankfully my anal retentive attention to detail (ok, I'm a Q user for 30 years) has its limits. I'll live with it...
  • @Redcab - glad you found a solution that worked for you and got those transactions to download the second time around.  (I think you may have a record there for the number of transactions).
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    RedCab said:
    ....Very fortunately, my onedrive version control periodically syncing automatically rescued me. Thankfully it can copy the file even when it's open, as I have a habit of not exiting Quicken (startup is way too long- another gripe). I was able to restore to a version from 5/19/2022 and then spent 20 mins clicking though a lot of past transactions in all my accounts.....
    @RedCab - I'm glad the backup file option resolved your missing transactions issue.
    Regarding the length of time that it takes to start up Quicken:  Do you have Quicken set up to run OSU when the program opens?  That can add several minutes to the amount of time it takes Quicken to open.  If so, you might want to go to Edit > Preferences > Startup > make sure the box for "Download Transactions when Quicken starts" is unchecked.  The amount of time it will take OSU to run will not be changed but it will then be run later when you decide to do it instead of every time Quicken opens.

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    I only download transactions manually. My hunch is that the startup time is a function of the app authenticating to the Quicken servers, confirming that I have a legal copy and and authorized account. Is that accurate?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Ah, yes, since you manually download then it is not a matter of OSU running during startup that is slowing down the session startup.
    You are correct that when opening Quicken it will connect and sync with your Quicken Cloud Account to confirm that you have a legitimate license, the subscription status and the edition of Quicken you are subscribed to.  But for me it seems that the sync process adds only 2-3 seconds to the amount of time it takes to open Quicken.  I think the size of the data file being opened is a bigger factor with a total time (sync included) of about 5 seconds for small data files and about 10 seconds for large data files (I have a SSD which is much faster than a traditional HDD so times might be longer for a HDD).
    You might want to check your anti-virus settings.  If it is set to scan every program and file before opening that can slow down the opening speed considerable.  Whitelisting or exempting Quicken from scanning-before-opening might help speed it up some.
    And then there's the whole issue of age of the system and what that means for how much current applications/files are taxing things like RAM, CPU, HDD, anti-virus scanning, graphics, etc.  Every computer I've owned starts to get noticeably slower after 3-4 yrs and by 5-6 yrs is can get to be painfully slow.  There are some things that can be done to speed it up a bit but at some point I have to decide whether I want to tolerate a slow system or whether I should be replacing it.

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    I'm a very long time Q user, about 30 years. My QDF file is 275 MB. Is that considered large?

I'll check on your other suggestions too. My system is good but not screaming fast. SSD, Win10, 16 GB Ram (rarely more than 70% utilized). Checking the virus or firewall settings is also a good idea.
  • Boatnmaniac
    275 MB is very large (my data files range from about 3.5 MB to 145 MB with the biggest data file having about 25 yrs of data in it) but I do not know if that is too large.  Still, I am guessing that that size could be slowing down the opening speed.
    One question:  Where do you run your data file from?  On your SSD or in a Cloud storage service like Dropbox or MS OneDrive?  Data files should always be run on a local drive, not from a Cloud storage service, for improved speed and, most importantly, improved data integrity.  Running the data file from a Cloud storage site will likely eventually corrupt that data file and that corruption might not be repairable.

• RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    I keep the all my data local on an SSD. I use OneDrive only as a backup and the occasional need to look at a file (not Q) from my mobile devices.
This discussion has been closed.