Why does new Net Worth by Year/Quarter/Month changes name when interval changed (Q Mac)

Garry@
Garry@ Member ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I have created a Net Worth by Year report and given it a custom name.  When I change the "Interval" from Year to "Half Year", the custom name reverts to "Category Net Worth". Why ?

I often vary the interval in reports so I can see more about what is going on.  But, it's a bit of a pain to have to fix the custom name every time.

Quicken 7.3.2 in macOS 14.1.1, on Mac Studio Max 24c. Quicken for Mac user since 1997.

Answers

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Garry@ said:
    ...  When I change the "Interval" from Year to "Half Year", the custom name reverts to "Category Net Worth". Why ?

Why?

Looks like a bug to me.

I tried a variety of strategies to work around this renaming. The program consistently replaces any custom name with this "Category Net Worth" string.

And to top this off, custom naming a Category Summary report exhibits a similar problem when one changes the Interval on that type of report.

You should report this using the in-program Help > Report a Problem... form. Include the URL to this discussion in the description of the issue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm just guessing here, but I don't think the developers would consider this a bug. If you edit the date range, categories, accounts, tags, etc. in a report, it's still the same report you're updating. But if you change the structure of the report — by changing the row, the column or the time interval — Quicken considers this an all-new report.

Of course, you can submit it through Report a Problem, but you won't get any feedback to say "yes, we see this and agree it's a bug" or "we see it, but that's not a bug; it's operating as designed."

It may be that this issue should be a new "Idea" thread, requesting an enhancement that changing the time interval on a report should retain the existing report name and not create a new, unnamed report. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Garry@
    Garry@ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Jacobs, lhossus, many thanks. At least I know I'm not making a basic mistake.
    But if you change the structure of the report — by changing the row, the column or the time interval — Quicken considers this an all-new report.
    That would be fine if the "new report" was duplicated from the original. But, with current behaviour, we lose the name of the original and that remains so if we return the Interval back to the original definition when it is no longer a new report.

But, why assume the user wants a new report ?  I think it's for the user to decide, not the developer.  In fact, that's why when closing an amended report there is a dialog asking if we want to save the changes as a new custom report.

I'll lodge a request via "Report a problem".

Quicken 7.3.2 in macOS 14.1.1, on Mac Studio Max 24c. Quicken for Mac user since 1997.

This discussion has been closed.