All of my 2022 budget information has disappeared

Bob K.
Bob K. Member ✭✭✭
Is there any easy way of restoring the data? My last backup was two weeks ago so I ran that and printed out the budget but I would like to avoid having to input all of the data again. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not restore your last backup from 2 weeks ago and then update your accounts with the last 2 weeks of transactions instead of trying to rebuild your budget in your current file?  If you update most/all of your accounts with OSU then getting the last 2 weeks of transactions entered into the restored file might be a whole lot easier to do than rebuilding your budget.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    I recommend backup up EVERY time you make any update in Quicken. The budget has to be restored almost every time, so this minimizes the rework. This needs to be fixed.
  • GuyManDude
    GuyManDude Member ✭✭
    You cannot use Quicken for budgeting. Too many people have reported that their budget work disappears. Quicken is definitely aware of it and appears to be unable/unwilling to fix it. Don't waste your time. Such a shame.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I strongly recommend that everyone sets up their Backup Preference to automatically backup their data file after every session.  They can also select how many backup files they wish to keep so older backup files are then automatically deleted (I keep the 35 most recent).
    If addition, Quicken now automatically saves a backup of the data file immediately before updating the Quicken version.  Quicken will add the version of what was being updated from to the backup file name so it makes it easy to identify, as is shown in the following example.

I mention this because when a Quicken version update causes a corruption in the data file restoring the last backup file from immediately prior to the update is often the best and quickest fix to the problem and sometimes the only solution.  Just make sure to thoroughly review the data file right after the version update to see if anything got corrupted because it can be a problem if the corruption is not identified until weeks later.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    In addition to @Boatnmaniac helpful advice,  I would also be sure to periodically check your backup preferences, especially after a version update.  

I noticed occasionally that my normal 30 day backup preference gets reset to what appears to be a default setting.  Not sure why or when but it seems to occur after updates...sometimes....
This discussion has been closed.