why isn't Quicken adding correctly?

mhaseltine
mhaseltine Member ✭✭
I've got a category called Discretionary spending from which $6.00 is taken out regularly and at the end of the year all items in that category are exactly that; however, the total for the year is $300.40. What gives, and more importantly, how do I correct this. On a Mac running 12.4 and using this quicken: Version 6.7.1 (Build 607.44146.100).

Answers

• mhaseltine
    mhaseltine Member ✭✭
    Actually it's more complicated. The above number is if I only choose the account the amounts are drawn on, but if I include any other accounts, or all of them, the number is 299.84, even if none of those other accounts have anything in this category. How can I trust the other numbers quicken gives me?
  • mhaseltine
    mhaseltine Member ✭✭
    Part solved. turns out the was a $0.56 amount oddity in this category that wasn't showing up till I put it in another category, then put it back. Now with all accounts included the year total is consistently $299.84
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you looking at Budget views?
    Might there be a Rollover amount from prior years that's impacting the numbers?
  • mhaseltine
    mhaseltine Member ✭✭
    No. I'm looking at a report of categories for the year.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    This may or may note be relevant: which exact report are you using? There are two versions of a Category report in Quicken Mac, an old one and a new one — and the old one is known to have data errors. (The developers have said it will be removed eventually, but it's still there, and causing problems for some users.)

If you click Reports, there is a Category Summary report under "Other Reports".

This is the old report; you can tell because the icon next to it is gray, while all the other reports are color icons with a letter in them. If you're using this report, stop.  Instead, you should be using one of the reports under the Transaction or Summary categories, or selecting "New" and creating a custom transaction or summary report.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mhaseltine
    mhaseltine Member ✭✭
    Thanks! I'll work with that. Take some getting use to, but doesn't look difficult.
This discussion has been closed.