Quicken Data File prompting for password that was not set

eblau
eblau Member
Haven't used Quicken in a while. I just updated 18 months of bank statements in a 24 hour marathon session. Now when I try to open the data file on my PC, quicken is prompting for a password that does not exist, nor was ever set. The forgot password link does nothing. I can access my file using the cloud and my iPhone app and all my data is there. How can I restore the windows data file that appears to be corrupt? When I try to restore the most recent backup the new file asks for the same password. No dice. My previous backup is 18 months old. I do not have the time to re-enter the past 18 months of data. PLEASE HELP :s :'(

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, the only solution to this type of Quicken file corruption is to restore a good Quicken file backup.  The cloud account may not be used to restore data.  Moving forward, I suggest you maintain frequent Quicken file backups so that you do not have to repeat as much work if there is an issue.
  • eblau
    eblau Member
    The fact is the last backup is from yesterday. The problem is not the backup it is the massive amount of work that went into the file since yesterday. I am so disappointed with Quicken. It is one big POS!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    eblau said:
    The fact is the last backup is from yesterday. The problem is not the backup it is the massive amount of work that went into the file since yesterday. I am so disappointed with Quicken. It is one big POS!
    If you maintained frequent file backups, you would have a good backup saved yesterday prior to the corruption.

The question I've had is what is causing this particular corruption.  Note: You're not the only one that has this experience.  One common attribute appears to be the corruption only happens to Quicken files that do not already have a Quicken file password set.   Therefore, I do suggest you set a Quicken file password.
  • eblau
    eblau Member
    Good idea. Maybe Quicken should fix this problem by forcing all users to set passwords. The fact is, I have read many similar accounts of this issue and it is appalling that Intuit allows such a bug to persist. I put my faith in this software and countless hours lost. It is so frustrating that Intuit does not value their customer's time and investment into their product.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    eblau said:
    Good idea. Maybe Quicken should fix this problem by forcing all users to set passwords. The fact is, I have read many similar accounts of this issue and it is appalling that Intuit allows such a bug to persist. I put my faith in this software and countless hours lost. It is so frustrating that Intuit does not value their customer's time and investment into their product.
    Intuit sold their interest in Quicken to H.I.G. Capital over six years ago and, a bit over seven months ago, H.I.G. Capital sold Quicken on to Aquiline Capital Partners.
  • f1refly
    f1refly Member
    I am having this same issue. I make frequent backups, as in every time I change something. However, I am having to go back almost a month to find a backup that does not ask for a password. It worked yesterday. What happened? Something must have caused this issue.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    f1refly said:
    I am having this same issue. I make frequent backups, as in every time I change something. However, I am having to go back almost a month to find a backup that does not ask for a password. It worked yesterday. What happened? Something must have caused this issue.
    You shouldn't have to go beyond the last time you opened the Quicken file.  My WAG is the cloud account associated with the Quicken file becomes corrupted and triggers the corruption when the program synchronizes with the Quicken Cloud.  I suggest trying to open or restore a more recent Quicken backup while preventing Quicken synching (for example, while disconnected from the internet).  You could also try deleting the cloud account associated with the Quicken file before  trying to open or restore a more recent Quicken backup.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

Note: You will need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  This other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that you may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 
This discussion has been closed.