Online Balance messing with Reconciling Ending Balance

Martha MJ
Martha MJ Member ✭✭
All checks have cleared the bank, nothing is outstanding, my ending balance matches my bank's balance and the ONLINE BALANCE is 68.09 higher than my ending balance. I have checked all deposits and checks on quicken and they match my bank's deposits and checks. I cannot reconcile this account as it shows it is off by the online balance's 68.09 difference. How do I get the ending balance to match the online balance so I can reconcile?

Best Answer

• Martha MJ
    Martha MJ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I got the problem resolved with Quicken support...... most helpful and efficient!

Answers

• I would wait until tomorrow to see if the difference clears itself.  Otherwise, the only other thing to check is your beginning balance transaction.  If you know what it should be then you can just verify it.  If you don't remember, then restore a backup from a couple of days ago, but DON'T OVERLAY your current file.  Then you compare the beginning balance from each file.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I agree that if this issue just started, then waiting until tomorrow to run OSU might self resolve it.
    But if you have been seeing this issue for several days:  Have you recently updated your Quicken version and/or have you recently done Reset Account or Deactivate/Reactivate on the account?  These actions have been known to sometimes cause account balance issues.  If so, I suggest you take the following troubleshooting steps:
    • Back up your data file.
    • Restore a recent backup file (one that is earlier than when you started seeing this problem)...give it a different name so you do not overwrite your main data file.  Check the Opening Balance transaction amount and then compare that to your main data file Opening Balance transaction.  If the Opening Balance is different in the main data file, correct it with the dollar amount from the restored backup file.
    • In the account register:  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Register Columns > check the box for Downloaded Posting Date > Done > click on the column header for , click on the Posting Date column header (not the Date column header) to sort the register by date...might need to click it 2X to get the most recent date at the top of the register) > scroll down the list about 3 months > work your way up the list looking for duplicate transactions >  manually delete one of any duplicate transactions you find.
    Did either or these steps resolve the issue for you?

If not:  Does the balance shown in your online bank account include pending transactions?  It seems that more and more banks are now including pending transactions in the online account balance.  If that online account balance does include pending transactions and if that is what is being downloaded into Quicken there will be a difference between what Quicken shows for Online Balance and Current Balance because Quicken does not download Pending Transactions.  (Note: Quicken uses account Current Balance instead of Ending Balance for Reconcile to Online Balance.  Ending Balance includes manually entered and/or Reminder future pending and planned transactions whereas Current Balance includes only transactions through the current day.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Martha MJ
    Martha MJ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I got the problem resolved with Quicken support...... most helpful and efficient!
  • @martha MJ - Glad you found a resolution to your issue.  It is also encouraging to hear about your positive experience with Quicken support.  Would you mind sharing the issue and resolution as to help others that might experience your situation? 
  • Martha MJ
    Martha MJ Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much for your detailed and generous help. I have printed it out for future potential problems of this nature.
This discussion has been closed.