Ghost funds in Asset Allocation report's Graph

BK
BK Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2022 in Reports (Windows)
My 529 account has three funds in it, which consist of a mix of four asset classes (LgCap stocks, domestic bonds, Intl stocks, cash) and I have verified this info in each specific asset class mixture window.
Using the 'Investment Asset Allocation' report I customized it specific to this 529 account.  The report data is accurate where it correctly shows the funds and figures to the penny.  The issue appears only in the "Graph" details:  Once I click on the graph colors, the subsequent graphs show $0.01 of two funds owned years ago but not anymore.  My guess is this is some strange data corruption manifested only into the graph.
Here is the visual result of clicking on the graph colors.  Once again, I no longer own any of the $0.01 ghost funds shown and playing with the dates makes no difference.  And of course this is an insignificant issue, just visually annoying.
Do you have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and correct it?  I have chased down detailed transactions and also tried various options within validate & repair with no success.

Install info: R40.21 and R37.67.  Win11.  Current and backup files.
- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
- I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @bk - if you change the number of shares to report to 6, do you see residual shares for those funds?  I have the same issues and my number of shares is set to 6, and I see small residual share balances as well as cash, but when I total up share balances for the affected funds, they all net to zero.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago, Quicken changed the internal precision maintained in the investment accounts.  The change may impact the calculated holdings.  To address the issue, you may reenter the last sale and check Sell all shares in this account.  Another approach is to exclude the security from the graphs and reports.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    I think it's simply a rounding or truncation issue.  What I think is happening is if you have investments that have share balances that go out more than 4 places, the internal calculations are not accounting for the last 2 decimal places.  The extra decimal places are either being truncated, or the share balance is being rounded to 4 places.  (It could be 5 places, but I haven't tested that one out.)
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Damian , my decimal has always been set to 6.
    @Sherlock , My first troubleshooting was to delete and reenter as well as ensuring Sell All Shares.  No luck.  Excluding the old security from the report works of course.
    I added a fractional share of 0.000001 to test and it clearly shows up in the report data.  So the fact that my report data is clean and this is isolated to the graph indicates something else.  I will keep playing and report back if/when I figure it out.
    Thank you both.

• @bk I just wanted you to change it to 6 to see the residual shares.  If you did have it at 4 then, you will see zeros in the share column, but the cash still shows.
    @sherlock - I also tried to do the "Sell All Shares" but it had no effect.

@BK if you remove the .000001 shr, does it still show up on the report?
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:
    @BK if you remove the .000001 shr, does it still show up on the report?
    Yes, if I manually add/remove any fractional shares (.000001), my reports data shows it, but has no impact on the specific graph issue.  So I was trying to add an "adjustment" to compensate for this; not only it didn't help but messed things up further. There is noting unusual about the price histories either.
    Next I exported and imported only the data of this account into a new test file.  Once I setup the asset mix of each security, I saw the issue in the graph again in the test file.
    I no longer think that I have a data/database corruption as I suspected before, rather I think it is some minuscule Fractional share/price anomaly as you pointed out where there is a handling inconsistency between the report data and graph.
    Given this I don't think it is worth to further pursue a penny in a graph - after all the data is accurate.

This discussion has been closed.