Paycheck Corruption Issue, erroneous reporting totals

geekpryde
geekpryde Member ✭✭
As of the most recent Quicken update, When I pull a report for medical insurance expenses for prior years, it shows my wife has paid for Medical /Dental insurance going back many years. I knew this was impossible since she has only been paying from her paycheck since 1/1/2022. (prior to that I had paid for them)

Long story short, I went back YEAR and YEAR, 2020,2019,2018, etc. And kept seeing her Paycheck as showing her paying Dental / Medical on old paychecks from years prior. The Register has the correct paycheck amount, but if you went into an individual paycheck and checked the splits, all old paychecks looked like a carbon copy of her most recent paycheck. Meaning, Quicken is modifying / corrupting weekly paychecks going back years, if not a decade. I stopped checking, as it became futile.

The net result of this, any REPORT I make, had totally erroneous line items, totals, etc. Reports are so corrupt, I can't rely on ANY of the information, as it is wildly different than reality / the register.

My theory:

For some reason, Quicken is pulling in the most recent version of a paycheck, and making ALL paychecks from the same company / to the same person, look like a carbon copy of that most recent paycheck, adding bogus entries for things such as health insurance, medical insurance, 401(k) deductions, etc.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    geekpryde said:
    As of the most recent Quicken update, When I pull a report for medical insurance expenses for prior years, it shows my wife has paid for Medical /Dental insurance going back many years. I knew this was impossible since she has only been paying from her paycheck since 1/1/2022. (prior to that I had paid for them)

Long story short, I went back YEAR and YEAR, 2020,2019,2018, etc. And kept seeing her Paycheck as showing her paying Dental / Medical on old paychecks from years prior. The Register has the correct paycheck amount, but if you went into an individual paycheck and checked the splits, all old paychecks looked like a carbon copy of her most recent paycheck. Meaning, Quicken is modifying / corrupting weekly paychecks going back years, if not a decade. I stopped checking, as it became futile.

The net result of this, any REPORT I make, had totally erroneous line items, totals, etc. Reports are so corrupt, I can't rely on ANY of the information, as it is wildly different than reality / the register.

My theory:

For some reason, Quicken is pulling in the most recent version of a paycheck, and making ALL paychecks from the same company / to the same person, look like a carbon copy of that most recent paycheck, adding bogus entries for things such as health insurance, medical insurance, 401(k) deductions, etc.
    Hello @geekpryde,        

I am sorry to hear about this issue with incorrect transaction dates in your registers and reports. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

Is this issue affecting the registers of accounts associated with one particular financial institution?

Also, try saving a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then take a look at the instructions provided below, in order:
      • Navigate to File
      • Select Validate and Repair File...
      • Select Validate File
      • Click OK
      • Close the Data Log
      • Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
      • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I look forward to hearing back from you, if you have the opportunity to check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @geekpryde your issue sounds like the paycheck corruption issue that started occurring in March. Please have a look at this discussion covering that issue:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7912649/paycheck-corruption-problem

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• David H. Burrola
    David H. Burrola Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    [Removed - Rant/Disruptive]
  • geekpryde
    geekpryde Member ✭✭
    > @mshiggins said:
    > @geekpryde your issue sounds like the paycheck corruption issue that started occurring in March. Please have a look at this discussion covering that issue:
    >
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7912649/paycheck-corruption-problem

Yes, this was / is exactly my problem. Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, its been 90+ days, and I have A LOT of accounts. I had to go all the way back to a backup on 3/1/2022 to find a file without the corruption. Both my kids, my wife, and I, all have corrupted paychecks.

I had to decide between quitting keeping track of the money (giving up on quicken) or spending untold days rebuilding everything, or being fine with the corrupt data and never being able to use or trust a report again in Quicken. I was seriously considering just walking away from tracking my money to the penny, which I have done for 25 years.

I the end, as sick to my stomach as it made me, I decided to restore from March 1, 2022 and rebuild. Took me 4 hours straight, which was brutal, but a lot less time than I thought it would be. Of course, I lost a lot of detail, such how to categorize a lot of generic purchases. Many things went into the "househould" black hole category, LOL.

The one thing I am still shocked about, is the lack of "code-red" type of alarm from Quicken. This problem is devastating to your Quicken file, and there are probably still thousands (tens of thousands?) of users that have years' worth of corrupted paychecks, and they probably won't even discover it until tax time when nothing makes sense. There should have been a much louder PSA from Quicken on this, and I suggest doing an immediate restore to very early March. I saw nothing of the sort, and I assume only people who came onto the forum really found out what happened (correct me if I am wrong).

I'm now super paranoid about my quicken file being corrupted again somehow...
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @geekpryde you are not the only one who thinks Quicken Inc should have done a better job informing users about this paycheck corruption issue. 

Regarding your worry about potential future corruption, it sounds like you already have a good backup strategy in place. Having a wide date range of available back ups is one precaution I would take.

The second precaution I'd recommend is to set your Windows UAC settings so you are warned before software is installed. That should enable you to defer Quicken patches until you can confirm the patch is not causing widespread issues. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.