Portfolio X-RAY, stock intersection limited to 50 results

Options
rgbuik
rgbuik Member ✭✭
edited July 2022 in Investing (Windows)
In Portfolio X-RAY, the stock intersection tab is limited to 50 results. This limitation skews the asset allocation on the X-RAY interpreter. I've used this screen before successfully, and I wonder if this is a bug in a recent version, or if I am doing something wrong.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Morningstar's X-Ray intersection analysis has always been limited to the top 50 holdings in each fund.

If you hold a large cap fund and a small cap fund with no overlap, you should see 100 results.

Are you seeing something different?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • rgbuik
    rgbuik Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Jim. I've been using this function for some time now and have never seen this. The screen appears to be designed for multiple pages of 50 results each. But I only see the first 50 results with no opportunity to go to the next page. This is a problem for me because a portfolio with multiple funds in it may have many more than 50 equities. And the asset allocation tab is skewed as a result. I have opened a ticket with tech support on this and will comment here with the result.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    Make sure all of your funds are selected and you hit Refresh X-Ray. 

Sometimes it takes several attempts to get the selections to stick.
  • rgbuik
    rgbuik Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am so frustrated by Quicken's response to this issue. If a portfolio that I want to analyze has more than 50 equities in it (this easily happens if you have a few mutual funds), the Portfolio X-ray page completely skews the results.

The support desk treats it as if I am asking for new functionality. But this should really be classified as a bug-fix. The Premier edition promises that I will "Enjoy the most comprehensive investment tracking tools on the market. Maximize the market with watchlists, benchmarks, target allocations*, and more," but the truth is that the X-ray page is worthless if you wish to analyze a portfolio with more than 50 equities.

All I get is the runaround from support.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    I now see what you mean.

If you hold 3 non-overlapping funds or ETFs, say a US Large cap, US small cap, and international, the Stock Intersection should show the top 50 holdings in each fund, for a total of 150 securities. If you set up a portfolio like this in the paid version of Morningstar, that is exactly what you see.

But Quicken's Stock Intersection display only shows the top 50 holdings overall. It looks like it is designed to show multiple pages of 50 securities each, but it is only showing the first page.

Perhaps this is by design, to differentiate between Quicken's version of the Stock Intersection and the paid version at Morningstar. The example in the User Guide only shows 50 results.

With my portfolio in Quicken, the 50th entry is 0.17% of the total, so anything below that would not have a large impact overall.

A bigger issue IMO is that Quicken does not support printing of the X-Ray.
  • rgbuik
    rgbuik Member ✭✭
    Options
    So, how do we get this bug-fix prioritized? It was obvious that the support tech had never used this functionality, and had no understanding of the failure of this page to accomplish what the literature promises. There was absolutely no motivation to actually help to get this bug fixed.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I would certainly like to see improvements to the X-Ray, but aside from the inability to print the results and difficulty selecting the accounts to include, which have been discussed elsewhere, it could very well be working as designed. 

You might open an Idea post referencing this discussion and requesting that the stock intersection be expanded to include more than the top 50 stocks in your portfolio, to match what is available to Morningstar subscribers. Quicken management reviews Ideas and if there is a lot of interest in the form of votes from users, they sometimes implement the requested changes.
This discussion has been closed.