Rearrange accounts causing Quicken to freeze

db7j
db7j Member ✭✭
Hello, I tried using the new rearrange account feature for this latest release (R41.10). When I select it, the screen goes dim and nothing happens. Quicken is frozen and the only thing I can do is End Task. I restart Quicken and the same thing occurs. I like the idea of this feature, but it shouldn't have been released if it's not fully baked. Any advice?

Comments

• markisgold
    markisgold Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Ditto this. Same thing happened to me.

Update: This is now resolved (in my instance) thanks to the comment by UKR pointing to the screen sizing thread. Thank-you UKR.
  • Patrick T Williams
    Patrick T Williams Member ✭✭✭
    Same issue here. Nice feature but some testing before release would have been nice!
  • Patrick T Williams
    PS Started with R41.9 and not fixed in R41.10.
  • Patrick T Williams
    Yes, I  can change and save but can't get Quicken to Dismiss the side panel. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    After saving changes, the new dialog seems to be waiting for you to do more changes.
    If you're done, click the little "X" in the upper right hand corner of the dialog to close it.
  • markisgold
    markisgold Member ✭✭✭
    I was using multiple monitors, Quicken was full screen in one of the monitors. When the dialog was open it spilled over slightly to the adjacent monitor and the “X” appeared in that other monitor.
  • db7j
    db7j Member ✭✭
    Thank you all. When I try to rearrange accounts, no separate window opens for me to even start to look for an "X" to close it back up again. Will try it again later today with a smaller (not maximized) Quicken window to see if that works. If not, I'll just chalk it up to a bug and move on. It's not a feature I want to waste any more time on; just wished it worked more smoothly when I tried it out for the first time.
  • Patrick T Williams
    Ditto, no small "x" to close dialog box.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    db7j said:
    Thank you all. When I try to rearrange accounts, no separate window opens for me to even start to look for an "X" to close it back up again. Will try it again later today with a smaller (not maximized) Quicken window to see if that works. If not, I'll just chalk it up to a bug and move on. It's not a feature I want to waste any more time on; just wished it worked more smoothly when I tried it out for the first time.
    It's not a "separate window". It's an overlay of the Account Bar when you select "Rearrange accounts" from the Account Bar's gear icon.
    The Save button and the "X" are shown in this image:
    If that's not what you get, please attach an image snapshot to this discussion.

• markisgold
    markisgold Member ✭✭✭
    Note that some people have the account bar located on the right side. In my attached photo you can see the “X” extends past the frame of the quicken window… thus it ‘may’ not be visible on your screen.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    db7j said:
    It's not a "separate window". It's an overlay of the Account Bar when you select "Rearrange accounts" from the Account Bar's gear icon.

I think this term would be highly "debatable".  As in even as a programmer I wouldn't know exactly what to call it.  I have been calling it a "panel" for the lack of a better term.

It isn't "attached" to anything, and that is one reason it is causing so many problems.
    When a control is attached/inside of another control the parent control will control the size of it, and as such it will automatically fit.

Clearly this isn't that.  What it is a "window" (in programming terms) that is being sized and positioned to try to hide the account bar.  Quicken Windows developer have been playing this game of them trying to size and position such windows, and they aren't very good at it.

The main "fake" window is an example of this where it is one pixel to low and one pixel to the right of where it should be.  Which really shows up on a dual display where it overlaps into the next display.

And what's more they are still sizing/positioning such windows base on the main display instead of the one that Quicken is currently on.

And in this case, they aren't scaling the panel/window based on Normal/Large fonts (The Large Fonts setting doesn't affect it).

There are numerous problems in Quicken for scaling, positioning, and sizing especially on multiple monitor systems that have different resolution/scaled monitors and of course on "high resolution" displays.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Rearrange Accounts  - new feature

Until they fix it for users with Account Bar on the right side and "X" or "Save" off the screen ...

• When stuck in this mode, press Alt-F4 (the "F4" key) to exit from the Rearrange Accounts view
    • Temporarily move the Account Bar to the left (View Menu / Account Bar / On Left) and/or
    • make the Account Bar wide enough so the Rearrange Accounts overlay fits into the Account Bar's space and/or
    • make the Quicken window narrower so it doesn't fill the entire screen width
  • db7j
    db7j Member ✭✭
    Thank you all for your comments. My account bar is on the right. My screen kind of darkens when I try to use this feature. I see there are a number of ways out of the issue, but for now, I'm going to leave this one alone and try again maybe after a few more updates. Way too much effort to make the feature work.
  • @db7j - Please try this.  Before you do a "Rearrange Accounts", hide your Account Bar by clicking on the little triangle by "Accounts".  Once the Account Bar is hidden, click on the "gear" icon to the right and choose "Rearrange Accounts".  The account sort overlay should now be in the center of your screen.
  • markisgold
    markisgold Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Damian - that is a simple, elegant workaround for those that need it. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.