changed dates in ledger but won't show up in reconcile window

jlbaldwin
jlbaldwin Member ✭✭
When reconciling and account and find dates on 3 items need to be changed to balance account but they don't show up in reconcile window. I tried added them again but then I got duplicates in lager. Tried an older backup but still didn't work.
Tagged:

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    If the transactions in question were downloaded from your bank, then the posted date is what determines whether the transaction is included in reconciliation and you cannot change that date. You'll have to adjust the starting and/or ending date of your reconciliation as needed to include those transactions. This happens to me almost every month - I have a pension payment that is supposed to deposit on the first but Fidelity for some reason routinely posts it to my CMA a day early.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jlbaldwin
    jlbaldwin Member ✭✭
    I have exact same issues with pension payment, bank interest and sometimes check mobile deposits. Makes sense so I will try it but I prefer the way you used to be able to change dates on deposits so the month would balance correctly. Thank You.
  • jlbaldwin
    jlbaldwin Member ✭✭
    Worked PERFECTLY-all reconciled. Was it the last upgrade that made this change? I wish we had the ability to change the date on account transactions so it fit perfectly for the month. I used to be able to do that.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @jlbaldwin If the transaction downloads from a financial institution, the date can't be changed. This isn't a recent change; it's worked this way for years. So that gives you two alternatives…
    • You can create a manual transaction with the date you want, and delete the downloaded one.
    • You can set the end date of your reconciliation a day or two later, so transactions which posted after the month-end are included in the transaction list in reconcile window for you to check off.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jlbaldwin
    jlbaldwin Member ✭✭
    Thank You and I understand. I assume creating my own manual transaction and delete online download one needs to be done before reconciling. Trying to get balances correct. As I finished last night all was good. I have manually corrected what was needed this morning but now I have last month not reconciled correctly and re-reconciling gives me note of 'restore' and now balance isn't correct. What a mess. Even though last month history isn't balanced the dollar amount on ledger is correct. Not sure how to fix it.
  • jlbaldwin
    jlbaldwin Member ✭✭
    Seems to me I used to do reconcile without an additional window showing up. Is that possible? I do use circle icon (accounts updated) at top left of quicken window/all transactions.
  • jlbaldwin
    jlbaldwin Member ✭✭
    Also is there a way to combine years of quicken categories that now have different names that have changed with updates? Like Dining was old and now it's several choices of Food & Dining?
  • jacobs
    jlbaldwin said:
    I assume creating my own manual transaction and delete online download one needs to be done before reconciling.
    Not necessarily. You have a downloaded transaction with a date after the statement ending date, so it's not showing up in your reconcile screen? You can create a manual transaction directly in the reconcile window, check it, and complete your reconciliation. Once the reconcile window is closed, you're back in your register window, and now you can delete the downloaded transaction which is a duplicate of the one you created manually. 

jlbaldwin said:
    now I have last month not reconciled correctly and re-reconciling gives me note of 'restore' and now balance isn't correct. What a mess... Not sure how to fix it.
    It's hard to offer specific advice without being able to see your data. If you go to Reconciliation History and open the previous month, is it now showing you what the error or change was?  Sometimes, if dates and transactions get muddled, it can be easier to delete the current and prior month's reconciliations completely, and just re-reconcile them one at a time. You can do this in the Reconciliation History screen. Control-click on the month, and select Delete Reconciliation from the pop-up menu. 

jlbaldwin said:
    Seems to me I used to do reconcile without an additional window showing up. Is that possible? I do use circle icon (accounts updated) at top left of quicken window/all transactions.
    A few years back, the reconciliation startup window wasn't separate the way it is now; it showed up at the top of the reconcile window. But it did the same thing.

There are a number of ways to reconcile, depending on how you want to work with Quicken.  depends how you are trying to reconcile. If you have the account connected for online downloading, there's an option on the top right of the Reconciliation startup window to turn on Auto-Reconcile. The default will automatically mark all transactions as reconciled when they download, as long as the Quicken balance matches the online balance. Some people prefer this for simplicity; there's no reconciling. I prefer to leave this off, and to go through the monthly exercise or reconciling my Quicken register against my bank account. It helps me spot any unexpected transactions I might not otherwise. 

jlbaldwin said:
    Also is there a way to combine years of quicken categories that now have different names that have changed with updates? Like Dining was old and now it's several choices of Food & Dining?
    Yes. Open Window > Categories. If you have two (or more) main categories you want to merge, click the first one, command-click the second one (and any additional ones), and click the Merge Categories button at the bottom of the window; in the pop-up window, select which one of the categories you want to remain after the merge. The merge will then eliminate the other category(ies) and change all the transactions which used the now-deleted category to the new category. 

There's a trick to be aware of: you can't directly merge a main category with a sub-category of another category, or a sub-category of one category with a sub-category of another category. The trick is that you need to get the categories you want to merge to all be either main categories or sub-categories of the same main category. You can do this by dragging and dropping the sub-category to make it a main category to move it to be a sub-category of a different category. Here's an example:

Dining
       Food & Dining
         Fast Food  
         Groceries
         Restaurants

You'd like to merge main category "Dining" with the sub-category "Restaurants". You can drag "Restaurants" up until it's just above Food & Dining, so it becomes its own main category. Then you can merge Dining and Restaurants.  Alternatively, you could drag Dining until it's below Food & Dining, making it a sub-category of Food & Dining. Then you can merge Dining and Restaurants.

• jlbaldwin
    jlbaldwin Member ✭✭
    Ok....thank you I have been wanting to do this for years on the categories.....will follow your instructions. I think the best for me to delete reconcile for May and start over. Clearer for me & worked perfectly! I learned something!! I agree - I like to manually use bank account against quicken since I put some things in manually each month because I have income from several sources that changes often and others I have monthly reoccurring bills and income. You are so clear it makes it easy! Thank YOU!!
  • jacobs
    Glad to have helped.  :)
This discussion has been closed.