Chase bank bill payment - how is "lead time" created for New manual Payee

Ps56k2
Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
I use Chase bank bill payment -
and create and enter all manual Quicken Payee transactions.
Most of the Quicken Online Payee entries have the Lead Timeas - 1 day.
I now have to re-create one of the entries - water bill - as our account number has changed. 
Since I can't edit the Account Number - I have to create a totally new Quicken entry.
BUT... no matter how I enter the name, address, etc - it always comes up as 5 days....
The old working entry has the Lead Time as - 1 day.
ARGH -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The lead time should be set by the financial institution and may adjust when the financial institution determines it may use ACH as opposed to US mail to complete the payment.  You may be able to confirm the same at the financial institution's bill payment web site.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may have seen me post this before, but I repeat my recommendation: Let the biller (water co., etc.) debit your account automatically every month. Avoid fighting the bill manager windmill ...

About your Bill Manager issues

My 2cents' worth, if I may:

I don't use Bill Pay services or Bill Manager at all, neither the one from Quicken nor the one offered by my bank. Since time "B.I." (before the Internet was invented) I have set up almost all of my recurring payments as Direct Debit, PAC Draft, Autopay, APS, whatever the biller calls it. Using the biller's website, I authorized the biller to electronically debit each payment directly from my checking or credit card account on due date. Now I can sit back, relax and wait for it to happen. Instead of  having to arm-wrestle the software into making payment on time I let the biller do all the work for me.

When I get notified of a new statement having arrived, usually by email, all I have to do in Quicken is to run a regular scheduled reminder to record the transaction. Haven't missed a payment in many years.

I recommend you do the same instead of fighting the Bill Manager windmill, missing payments and getting slapped with penalty interest rates or late fees.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    UKR said:  Avoid fighting the bill manager windmill ...
    For various reasons, I have taken this somewhat counter culture scenario...
    I have ALL my bills mailed as paper - therefore, no e-bills, no auto-debit (except where forced).
    I've done this, so, just in case I'm not around, that all the bills still get delivered, and everyone knows what they are.
    And, for the most part, I'm using the Chase bank pay - with Quicken sending them via OSU...
    only a few bills are beyond this - like our new water bill....
    BTW - I went to the Chase online website, and wanted to update the County water bill account under our Chase Payee entry.
    It currently shows the 1-day lead time.... went to edit and change the account number, and it changed to 5-day check !!!
    Very weird -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• @ps56k2 - a 5 day lead time usually means a paper check is sent to the biller.  You did say that a new account was established.  It could be that for some reason, your new account with the water company cannot accept electronic payments.
  • Ps56k2 said:
    I have ALL my bills mailed as paper - therefore, no e-bills, no auto-debit (except where forced).
    Just curious about this statement.  If you use Chase Bill Pay, aren't the payment methods determined by Chase and the biller?  How do you force a check if the payment method established with the biller is electronic?  Maybe I misunderstood.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s the weird part - that there is an exact identical existing entry on the Chase Payee website that indicates the typical ACH 1-day payment, and yet if I enter the exact same text for a new entry, it wants the 5-day check. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will have to research this - as maybe the migration to a new billing system for the County Public Works has jettisoned their old existing ACH capabilities… 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:
    That’s the weird part - that there is an exact identical existing entry on the Chase Payee website that indicates the typical ACH 1-day payment, and yet if I enter the exact same text for a new entry, it wants the 5-day check. 
    It often takes one payment to a newly-entered payee to determine that it can use ACH instead of mail. Just wait one cycle and it will change.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.